Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

2008 Caliber SXT ~ Brakes

Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Jed54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Caliber SXT ~ Brakes

Our caliber has 17k miles. Just recently it started giving us noisy brakes. I took it to the Dodge dealer this morning and they told me nothing was wrong, and probably just had some dust. They told me to return if it occured again. I got several blocks from home and it started again. So I just pulled in the gararge for now. What brake pads does Dodge use? ceramic or metalic? Any other info would be appreciated.. Thanks.
I failed to ask them this ? before I left.......

Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ours occasionally squeak too. Seems like if i back up then pull forward, I get the squeak. I'm sure they use the cheapest pads they can buy, but not sure what type they are. I know they don't create near as much brake dust as the ones on my 07 Grand Caravan. They are awful for dust, but are quiet and stop well.
You might just try removing the pads and spraying the back of them with anti-squeak stuff. I'm gonna do ours when it warms up a bit and I have the time. Ours has 17K miles on it and has been doing it since just over 12K.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it like a Single squeak as you apply the brake? If it is from the rear, brake shoe to Backing plate contact area need to be greased. Pretty common.

Hows your weather tho? if you live in a cold climate, cars are going to make all type of weird noises.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Jed54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live in St.Louis.. Has been rather cold, with rain, & snow. This past Saturday we went out and the brake noise was VERY LOUD. I could not believe they discovered nothing today.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, with weather and temperature like that, Sometimes even a Brand new car off the lot makes noise. If you brake pad life looks OK, and your car stops OK, I guess they just don't want you to waste money on a unnessacery brake job.

I think the OE brake pads from the factory are neither Semi-Metallic or Ceramic, they just call it OE-Compound material.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Caliber SXT ~ Brakes