2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No communication with Data Link Connector!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
ram fivepointtwo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No communication with Data Link Connector!

Hey all,

Been a while since I posted, Did some searching to find some info on my problem, but wasn't able to find anything specific. (I'm not to great finding things via search..) So I was hoping all the great folks at Dodge Forum would have some input! Recently I had taken my truck (1999 Ram Sport 1500 4x4 5.2) for an emissions test and FAILED because the test center claims they could not get their computer to connect with mine via the Data Link Connector. They said they tried multiple times and even removed the {?cigarette lighter fuse!??} and tried again to no success. This confused me as I have had no check engine lights, driveability problems, or funky electrical problems at all. I have some experience as I was a GM Tech (late 80's to mid 90's) but as the years pass, the technology changes rapidly and as a result, I'm a technological dinosaur! Has anyone ever had or heard of this problem. Any input greatly appreciated! -THX

Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

If the truck runs, drives, and behaves normally, the no communication problem is usually caused by dirty connectors, one of the connectors pushed out of its socket, or, a wiring problem between the link connector, and the PCM.

I would visit your local parts store that has a code reader, and see if their machine will talk to it. Might be the inspectors scanner is faulty, and your truck is fine.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Go to Autozone and see if their scan tool hooks up to it..

Report back..

No I've never ever heard of the data link connector not working.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
ram fivepointtwo

I'll do that and report back, Thx...

Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
ram fivepointtwo

Went to auto parts store and they WERE able to connect AND get a code reading (lucky for me no codes were found). However,there was a considerable amount of difficulty keeping the connection though. Apparently, the code reader plug had to almost be held in position to keep communication. I guess one of the pins is tweaked or pushed back or possibly the connector itself is not firmly positioned in the mounting bracket. I'm going to make a few adjustments in that area (remove connector from bracket), get the test done, and re-mount when finished. Hope it works this time! & Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me once too... and I was PISSED!

I pulled my super chips tune out just before... so I know it worked. I had to push on the data port connector wires from the back... and it worked.

Good luck!
Cartman

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to push from the back to get a connection with my Snap On MT2500, but the plug on that thing is friggin heavy and it pulls down and breaks the connection.

Never had the issue with my SCT tuner.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
bamaram3500

i had the same problem this week....my tranny has benn acting funny from 1st to 2nd...and now it revs in gear way up before it changes to 3rd. the tranny guy wanted to run the scanner to see if there is any codes and couldn get no power to his hand held device.....so they wanted 105 a hour to see what the problem was.i went home pluged in my diablo that i got for my dodge charger and messed with the wires and got it to work....

i did the key on key off thing and got code p1899 but i dont think that is my problem.....anyway mess with the wires and that should fix yours..

2000 3500 dodge ram v10 automatic.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM
WildeBC
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just had a similar problem. I've got a 2000 Dakota 4.7L
I went for an inspection and the state computer could not complete the test. The mechanic checked it out with his Snap-On scanner. There was a stored code for the PS PSI sensor, not an issue, should still pass the inspection. He checked the monotors, all were fine, and complete. So he checked out the Vin info, and got nothing, his scanner would not connect to it, I believe it is Module $D1. I cme home and hooked up my Inova scanner and everything was the same, full communication with everything except the Vin. In NY the state computer has to match your car computer VIN to the one Scanned on the registration. I'm a licensed inspector still even though I'm on disability now and can't figure it out. I checked all the continuity between the DLC and PCM and everything checks fine. It's just like my VIN got erased from my PCM somehow.

Anyone ever hear of anything like it before? I've even called the Dodge dealer, who actually sounded like he was really looking in to it said he's never hear of it before.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 AM
trucklover
Veteran

I had a problem like this with my truck while trying to use my snap-on MT2500 scanner. It turned out to be the large ground wire that connects to the power steering bracket wasn't making a good connection. My SCT programmer would still work, but the MT 2500 would not work correctly. Some of the functions of the MT2500 would work, but the codes and data menu would not work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No communication with Data Link Connector!