3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What is the difference between a Power Wagon and a regular 2500??

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the difference between a Power Wagon and a regular 2500??

Just curious how many differences there are between the Power Wagon and any 2500, and if it is economically feasible to swap componants out and build a into a Power Wagon. I ask this because it seems the Power Wagon is a lower optioned truck, and I'd kinda like some of the nicer interior options that it doesn't seem to be available with.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to name a few of the important features... front and rear lockers, 4.56 gears, electronic sway bar disconnect, and warn winch behind front bumper.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

They also have a different suspension under them that sits up another few inches higher than a normal 2500. And as you can see from this video, they flex well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7alK...eature=related

Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

The ones I've found pics of interior all seem to be a manual transfer case, is there a particular reason for this?? Or if I were to build one from a regular 2500 that had an electronic t-case, would that be fine?? It should have the extra opening in the dash (that I believe is used for the air bag switch in regular cabs) for both switches: e-lockers and 4x4...or is there somethign that the electronic t-case isn't rugged enough...not that that would be a deal break for me cuz as mentioned in another recent thread, I am building a mud toy, so I wouldn't be beating the **** out of this possible Power Wagon conversion.

Also, there probably isn't a way to make my current 1500 an SFA and a lot like a Power Wagon, or is there? I understand the suspension components aren't as HD, but again, I won't be pounding on it, I just like the general idea of a Power Wagon...I'm not big on the winch, easy enough to add an external. But the e-lockers have my attention...also, what is the advantage for the electronic sway bar?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

And its situations like these when the front and rear lockers really shine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1mYZ...1&feature=fvwp

Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
The ones I've found pics of interior all seem to be a manual transfer case, is there a particular reason for this?? Or if I were to build one from a regular 2500 that had an electronic t-case, would that be fine?? It should have the extra opening in the dash (that I believe is used for the air bag switch in regular cabs) for both switches: e-lockers and 4x4...or is there somethign that the electronic t-case isn't rugged enough...not that that would be a deal break for me cuz as mentioned in another recent thread, I am building a mud toy, so I wouldn't be beating the **** out of this possible Power Wagon conversion.

Also, there probably isn't a way to make my current 1500 an SFA and a lot like a Power Wagon, or is there? I understand the suspension components aren't as HD, but again, I won't be pounding on it, I just like the general idea of a Power Wagon...I'm not big on the winch, easy enough to add an external. But the e-lockers have my attention...also, what is the advantage for the electronic sway bar?

Power wagons only came with a manual t-case. Its the same case, just shifts manually (like my truck, although I dont have a power wagon).

Sure, you can swap a front axle under your truck, add lockers and custom suspension that flexes well and be good to go. But you will most likely be money ahead to sell your truck and start with a 2500.

The electronic sway bar option allows it to become completely disconencted, which allows the front axle to flex WAY better than with it connected.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by olyelr
Power wagons only came with a manual t-case. Its the same case, just shifts manually (like my truck, although I dont have a power wagon).

Sure, you can swap a front axle under your truck, add lockers and custom suspension that flexes well and be good to go. But you will most likely be money ahead to sell your truck and start with a 2500.

The electronic sway bar option allows it to become completely disconencted, which allows the front axle to flex WAY better than with it connected.
Yeah, as usualy cheaper to start with the right vehicle, and even cheaper yet to buy the vehicle you want. I don't really want to sell and buy 2500 only because I've owned this since new, know the maintenance, know the truck, etc. My first brand new vehicle, blah blah blah. I should have just taken more time to buy it, but I was in a bind...Tranny in Intrepid was going out (again) was tired of rebuilding it, I was in college 200 miles from home and needed daddy's cosignature, so I kinda had to jump so I wasn't stranded in the Intrepid so far from many people I know, and before my dad thought more and more about cosigning.

Although had I known about the Power Wagon option I prolly would have looked harder and longer. I kinda wanted a 2500 anyway, but since I had a lot of traveling each week back and forth from school and home, and going to have to travel for my internship, I wanted the ride of a 1500. I guess though I never drove a 2500, just assumed it'd be stiffer. Then even after that I didn't get the truck I wanted cuz there was a $10,000 discrepency. The truck sitting next to mine at the dealer is what I wanted, but that was almost sticker price, this truck had 400 miles, so they gave it to me at invoice price and the only difference was color and a couple high end options, one being the Infinity sound, but for 10K, I settled...for 10K I can buy paint (a freind is a painter) and some after market Infinity speakers, and now I think a rear sliding window, but that hasn't seemed to be much inconvenience.

So yeah, I had plenty of reasons for not getting the exact truck I wanted, but am now regretting it somewhat. It's been a VERY nice truck and really good to me, but the grass is always greener on the other side, now I want more.

Wow, just realized I was really rambling off topic, sorry. Although it'd be less expensive (most likely) to start with a 2500, I could still slowly piece together my truck to be much like the Wagon, and in piecing together I prolly wouldn't notice the cost difference. Start with the axle, then later gear/dif swaps (I want 4.56 gears anyway even if I don't fully go through with the PW), then work on the suspension at a later time...if I wanted, I'd prolly be happy just having the e lockers, who knows...thoughts, am I being retarded even considering this?

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 03-06-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 AM
bikerglasses

Instead of e lockers you could always do air lockers..

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by bikerglasses
Instead of e lockers you could always do air lockers..
And the difference is?? Are they a lot cheaper or something, what all would be needed? Wouldn't I need some sort of compressor or something?

Sorry, don't know much about 4x4, this is my first in a truck, only others were quads, so no similarities as far as components

Old 03-06-2011, 11:16 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

E-lockers are controlled by electricity, while air lockers are controlled by air (small compressor needed). Both are outrageously expensive.

As far as slowly piecing it together, well, I guess you could. But, swapping in a solid axle will require a completely different front suspension, so you might as well get the part done at the same time. And while the axle is already out, why not do the gears and lockers at that point in time. Get what I'm saying?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the difference between a Power Wagon and a regular 2500??