Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2005 Magnum, lots of clunking noises from front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:09 AM
nevillema
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Magnum, lots of clunking noises from front end

I just bought a 2005 dodge Magnum SXT with 70,000 KM's. I didn't get a opportunity to drive it prior to purchasing it since I bought it at a auction. It was a 1 owner Federal Govermment vehicule. I figured it would have been well maintained and it perfect conditon. It needed brake pads and rotors all around and the two outer tie rod ends and a new upper left control arm for the Ontario safety check. I did the work myself. I changed all the brakes and the tie rod ends and the control arm. After all that it passed the safety. When I began to drive it I noticed a lot of clunking noises coming from the front left. I double checked the work I did and tightend everything again. I drove it around and the noise was still there. It only makes the clunking noise at low speed driving over bumps or cracks or pot holes in the road. When you first drive it after it sitting there for a while it doesn't make any clunking sounds but after 1 minute or so the clunking starts. Also there is no clunking sounds when driving over 25mph, and no bad sounds while driving on the highway. I now notice the sounds are heard in the front left and the midle and sometimes the rear area also.. While going over a speed bump at low speed I was sitting in the passenger seat and I heard a distinctive metal clanking on metal sound on the right side right under the front door.
Do you think it's all related to one problem or am I having several noise related problems? Any ideas as to what it could be? I was told that it could be the sway bar link kit and or the sway bar bushings. I already had a mechanic look at it and he couldn't find anything loose or worn.
I am very discouraged with this car because of the clunking sounds I hope someone has some advise on how to fix it.
Also when driving at night I notice the dash lights seem to get dimmer then brighter and flicker slightly. Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it?
The Magnum is no dought a cool looking car but with these annoying little problems it makes me regret the purchase.
Mark

Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Strykker
Professional

Check your suspesion bushings. A number of people have changed those out at the mileage you indicate.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 PM
aint2old

Seems to be a trend--I've got an 06 with the same problems !
I'm still looking --will post if I figure it out !!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 PM
John Codman
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it too. 80,000 miles. Have had the clunking for 25,000 miles. I have replaced inner and outer tie rod ends and the left strut rod. Still clunks.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 AM
mrhoads

i have a 05 with the same problem found the sway bar bushings are bad gonna change them out next week c if that fixes the prob

Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
rahbelo
Default brake backing plates

I had the same problem with my '07 mag. When I got my struts replaced my mechanic recommended I re-secure the brake backing plates. Noise no more, drives smooth and silent.

The following users liked this post:
mikesmith (10-21-2021)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM
John Codman
Default Bad bushings

I finally solved the clunking problem in the front suspension! It was the totally wiped-out front anti-sway bar bushings. They are easy to replace, and cost me about $13 at Imperial C-D-J in Mendon, MA. There are three different bar diameters. they are 1", 1.06", and 1.18". Naturally, my RT has the 1.18" bar; the only size bushing that I could not locate in the aftermarket. Moog makes replacements in the two smaller sizes. I could not feel any looseness in the bushings until I unbolted the bushing clamps - then the problem was obvious. BTW, the parts guy told me that the normal problem with the Magnum/Charger/300 front end is the "tension struts." The ball joint does go bad in these, but at least in my case, it did not cause the clunking.

The following users liked this post:
mikesmith (10-21-2021)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM
magnumod
Default ball joints

my 05 sxt is making clunking over the smallest bump. I took to dealership at 50,000 miles and they replaced upper and lower ball joints to the tune of 900$. 6 months later more clunking and the dealer says it is swaybar linkage and bushings?? Seem it is a problem. I removed the aftermarket wheels thinking it was more strain on the front end? should i put aftermarket suspension parts on? or just sell this clunker

Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
John Codman

Originally Posted by magnumod
my 05 sxt is making clunking over the smallest bump. I took to dealership at 50,000 miles and they replaced upper and lower ball joints to the tune of 900$. 6 months later more clunking and the dealer says it is swaybar linkage and bushings?? Seem it is a problem. I removed the aftermarket wheels thinking it was more strain on the front end? should i put aftermarket suspension parts on? or just sell this clunker
I'll bet it is the front sway bar bushings. They are cheap and if you are handy, easy to install. You do need a lift or ramps to get the front end up. The dealer did the same stuff to mine, with absolutely no improvement. The sway bar bushings fixed it.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM
cpd419

my 05 is the same and I noticed it is worse in cold weather. I dont think it is ball joints. I believe it is sway bar bushings. I don't know if I will fool with it or not if it is not a safety issue.

Quick Reply: 2005 Magnum, lots of clunking noises from front end