2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door speakers not working?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Ramonator44
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy door speakers not working?

ok so i have a 98 regular cab and in the doors there are stock 6x9s and the stock tweeters. the tweeters work fine but the 6x9s are not working im not getting any noise from them not even static. it has an after market sony head unit. i took it out to check the wiring and its all done right. so any help would be appreciated..

Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Truedge
Professional

are the speakers the infinity amped speakers? I think there is a wire needed to be hooked up to the blue preamp wire from the aftermarket head unit.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Ramonator44
Rookie

yes they are the infinity speakers not sure if they are amped tho..but yes that may be a possibilty i didnt even think about that. ill have to check into that tomorrow if its nice out.. do you no what color the wire form the amp i is cause i know its labeled on the aftermarket headunit pre amp..

Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Truedge
Professional

SOrry I don't recall at the moment. I'd actually have to open up My dash again to help you out. I really don't wanna do that. Hopefully someone else out there knows that answer to the question.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Ramonator44
Rookie

Originally Posted by Truedge
SOrry I don't recall at the moment. I'd actually have to open up My dash again to help you out. I really don't wanna do that. Hopefully someone else out there knows that answer to the question.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
thanks man, yeah i never would have thought of that so hopefully i can pull the head unit out tom. and play around with it.. im sure i can find the color coding for the wires on google.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I *believe* it is also blue (real light blue), been a while since I ripped out my stock head unit and put a JVC in there though. Mine actually had a label on it that said "amp" too. Guess I was lucky.

If this problem occurred immediately after you put in the aftermarket head unit, double and triple check that those speakers are wired in right.

Once you affirm that^^, the only possibilities left are: both speakers decided to blow at the same time (not very probable), the wiring to both of them is shorting somewhere (also not probable, but stranger things have happened), or, one (or more) of the channels in your head unit is/are arcing out (which i have seen before).

Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Ramonator44
Rookie

well my dad put the headunit in a few years back when its was his truck so im not to sure if they worked before or not but.. as far as the actual speaker wires go right door + and - are hooked up head unit + and - and vise versa.. but as far as truedge said that the pre amp wire needs hooked up to a wire thats where im thinking the problem is. so ill have to check into it.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
brewman
Rookie

It's almost definitely the speaker amps aren't being activated.

Assuming you used an aftermarket wiring harness to connect the head to the truck's wiring there should be a blue wire that needs to connect to the blue wire coming from your head unit. This wire is typically used to trigger power antennas to extend, but also serves to trigger remote amps to turn on.

If your head unit has separate wires for triggering remote amps and power antennas use the one for remote amps, because in that case the power antenna trigger may only have power when the head unit is set to the tuner.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Ramonator44
Rookie

yeah thats what im thinking now to.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:50 PM
4HoNdaDODGE
Professional

im also having a problem with my front door speakers not working. its only when im listening to a cd or i pod not on radio stations the front work then... anyone have a clue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door speakers not working?