Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power Steering /Rack n Pinion PLEASE HELP

Old 03-12-2011, 01:10 PM
kklblue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering /Rack n Pinion PLEASE HELP

I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with 98k miles on it. In 2009 I had some warranty work done and the rack and pinion was entirely replaced by the Dodge dealership. In the past few days the power steering has been whining, intermittently, mostly when i turn and usually when its warmed up. I used some of the Lucas PS steering fluid about 1 week ago and it was as quiet as a mouse. Last I checked the fluid seemed okay, but yesterday I decided to add some because it was whining again pretty loudly.

The next statement is going to sound really stupid. (I am a girl, cut me a break). I stopped at the gas station bought a quart of power steering fluid and poured it in. It took the "entire" quart. Hmmm, not thinking anything, I looked to the left and didn't see anything on the ground, so I bought a second quart and poured that in, it too the "entire" thing. So I looked to the right and found that as I poured in the fluid, it was pouring on the ground, all 2 quarts of it.

So I have a guy come over that is pretty handy with mechanics and he wasn't able to jack it up, but didn't think it was the power steering pump, but maybe a hose or the rack n pinion.

Can anyone shed some light. Is there a hose down there by the rack n pinion? Do rack n pinions go out that quickly. I didn't think so.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are 2 small hoses that come off of the power steering cooler that blow out. They are involved in a recall so if that is your issue it might be covered. Here is a picture of the cooler.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:11 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As the Picture shown, The powersteering cooler is below the car. u'll just have to take it to a Shop, lift it up and see what's leaking.
1 note, NEVER use any products like Lucas, Stop leak, etc... on ur car, unless u don't plan to keep the car long.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
kklblue

I just checked and it appears they did something with that recall in about 2005. I suppose the hoses could go bad again. Dang, I didn't know about not using the fluids, someone "swore" by it. My bad.

Last edited by kklblue; 03-12-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM
musicfeind2001

Well, since you had a dealership do warranty work, I'd go back to see them. Tell them you're leaking power steering fluid ever since they serviced the vehicle. As a dealership their work should be warrantied and guaranteed, so make them fix it free.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musicfeind2001
Well, since you had a dealership do warranty work, I'd go back to see them. Tell them you're leaking power steering fluid ever since they serviced the vehicle. As a dealership their work should be warrantied and guaranteed, so make them fix it free.
maybe, she said it was done in 2009, usually I see just 12k/12months on warranty, but maybe some have a longer warranty

Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

dont feel bad about being a girl. You are atleast a girl with her head on her shoulders that actually looking at fluid levels and what is what. most would not even know where the dip stick for oil is. said that i not sure what amount of power steering fluid you have but i doupt it be more than one bottle. so theres a sign right away that theres a leak. now like they said possible hose blown off. also if i recall not sure if its break resourvoir or the power steering one the filter screen gets stuck/plugged. might as well fix that too.

Originally Posted by kklblue
I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with 98k miles on it. In 2009 I had some warranty work done and the rack and pinion was entirely replaced by the Dodge dealership. In the past few days the power steering has been whining, intermittently, mostly when i turn and usually when its warmed up. I used some of the Lucas PS steering fluid about 1 week ago and it was as quiet as a mouse. Last I checked the fluid seemed okay, but yesterday I decided to add some because it was whining again pretty loudly.

The next statement is going to sound really stupid. (I am a girl, cut me a break). I stopped at the gas station bought a quart of power steering fluid and poured it in. It took the "entire" quart. Hmmm, not thinking anything, I looked to the left and didn't see anything on the ground, so I bought a second quart and poured that in, it too the "entire" thing. So I looked to the right and found that as I poured in the fluid, it was pouring on the ground, all 2 quarts of it.

So I have a guy come over that is pretty handy with mechanics and he wasn't able to jack it up, but didn't think it was the power steering pump, but maybe a hose or the rack n pinion.

Can anyone shed some light. Is there a hose down there by the rack n pinion? Do rack n pinions go out that quickly. I didn't think so.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
kklblue

Well turns out I had to bring it in and it was the high pressure power steering hose that connects near the rack and pinion box. Not life ending and was able to get it fixed, thankfully.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 PM
sc530
Default 2005 Caravan - Replace Rack and Pinion - Special tool

The rack and pinion on my van is leaking. Want to do it myself but in the manual they use Remover/Installer Special Tool 6831A to remove the roll pin connecting the rack and pinion to the intermediate coupler.
Lower steering gear from suspension cradle enough to allow access to the intermediate coupler roll pin (Fig. 9). Install Remover/Installer Special Tool 6831A through the center of the roll pin, securing with the knurled nut (Fig. 9). Hold threaded rod stationary while turning nut, this will pull the roll pin out of the intermediate coupler.

In your experience is there enough room to get in there to drive the pin out with a punch instead of the tool???

Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I don't use the special tool. I lower the rack down from it's mounts and punch it out from below the craddle. I use an air hammer with a roll pin punch. If you were going to use a hammer, I think you would need a long punch to get room to swing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering /Rack n Pinion PLEASE HELP