1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Changing Transmission and Transfer case

Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
93dak4x4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Transmission and Transfer case

OK first thing I got to do is fess up. I got rambunctious and decided to just tear into the job since they were both totally destroyed anyway. Wrong thing to do!
Now I have transfer case wedged between trans and rear crossmember that is welded on. It seems there is a locating pin? in the transfer case that won't allow me to slide it back far enough, due to my not removing the output shaft prior to trying to pull it off.

I'm thinking now I should lift motor and seperate transmission and transfer case as assembly? Will it clear? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lee

Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The transfercase has around 6 bolts all around. Including one directly on top, it is hard to see and harder to remove. For me I used a bendable ratcheting wrench. You may have good luck with lots of extensions and an elbow/u-joint adapter.

You wouldn't be able to remove the transfercase with the engine. The transmission may go though.

If needed get a good flashlight and a mirror.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM
93dak4x4
Professional

there is nothing holding it in. All bolts removed, but I cannot extend it enough to get it out.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, the only thing holding the transfer case to the transmission is six-or-so studs (threaded into the transfer case), and the nuts that are on the studs. (Take the nuts off, and the transfer case slides right off the transmission. The studs act as guide pins.)
The transmission output shaft is male, and the input for the transfer case is female.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say, "in the transfer case that won't allow me to slide it back far enough, due to my not removing the output shaft prior to trying to pull it off."
The only thing you should have to remove to get the case out is: remove driveshafts, disconnect the shift linkage, disconnect the breather hose, disconnect the vacuum hose or electrical wires and remove those 6 nuts.

Now, I did have an issue: my transfer case was basically corroded to the transmission. I had to remove the transmission and transfer case as one unit, and then use a wood block and sledgehammer to remove it (yea, it was really stuck on)
DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE TRANSFER CASE TO SEPARATE IT FROM THE TRANSMISSION! IT WILL NOT WORK!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:30 PM
93dak4x4
Professional

Got 6 inches of snow last night so project is back on hold. The problem is that after taking the nuts off the transfer case/tansmission bolts, the bolts still extend about 1-1/2", also the spline extends. The transfer case will not fit between the rear support and the bed to slide back far enough to come off the spline. Reading in chilton it says to remove output shaft from transfer case, (is that driveline to rear end or front end?).

I have been trying to remove the output shaft that extends past the rear crossmember, it separates about 1" and then acts like it is still held on.

When the snow clears again i will take another hard look.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 PM
dalemoser
Default ?

one question.have u taken out the main transmission crossmember?if not,i would say that is the problem.her would be my suggestion.start a couple of the transfer case nuts back on.take the distributor cap off.un bolt the tranny from the crossmember,put a jack under the tranny panny,raise it up a little off the crossmember,unbolt and remove the crossmember.slowly let the jack down,this should make the transfer case clear the stationary cross member.if u have already done this,put up some pics,of the problem,then lookin at it maybe one of us can give another suggestion.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
93dak4x4
Professional

Transmission and transfer case are finally out. Transmission came out in two pieces, I finally noticed that the motor mounts have only one bolt left on each side and am wondering if that is what caused the destruction. Anybody got any great suggestions on an easy mount up for the transmission and or transfer case? Repeating the way it came off is not recommended.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 PM
93dak4x4
Professional

I am thinking about pulling the engine out while i'm at it as I should drill out the broken bolts in the block. With engine, transmission and transfer case out, what is the best order "remount" everything? Do I need to be concerned with "matching" transmission timing or transfer case spline position?

Also being the true garage mechanic, all I have is an engine hoist and a floor jack to work with.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you pull the engine, you should not have a problem bolting the transmission and engine together and putting it back in, and once that is in place, bolting up the transfer case.

As far as the transmission and transfer case splines, there is no "key" on the splines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Transmission and Transfer case