Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

No transmission dipstick

Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
udaloy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No transmission dipstick

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey with just over 8300 miles on it. It's the wife car, so I don't drive it much. I drove it this weekend to take the family to our daughter's volleyball tournament, 2 hours away. Once getting there, I could smell something was hot. While maneuvering in the parking lot, I had a little forward momentum when I put it in neutral and the transmission made a popping sound.

Being able to add 2 and 2, I tried to measure the level of the transmission fluid. Guess what, no ****ing dipstick. I look under the car, and the rear output shaft seal is leaking. What is a guy supposed to do? I can't just dump a quart of ATF +4 into it. I had to drive it home the way it was. What really pisses me off it the car was just at the stealer's for the first oil change. How can a "competent" mechanic not see the oil all over the cross member? It's right ****ing there. A brand new car has an oil covered cross member, and the guy doesn't think anything of it, yet wants to charge my wife extra because the tires need to be rotated?

I told the wife to take it to the stealer today so they can look at it. They told her the fluid level was fine, they'll order the part, no worries. So here I am, a good God fearing, honest person that will have transmission failure after the warranty expires because I took the car in. If this happens to someone who is an idiot, they drive it until it runs out of oil and they get a brand new transmission care of Chrysler. Where's the justice?

Americans have been checking their own damn transmission levels for 100 years. Why must I go to the stealer for this? My dad retired from Chrysler, I've owned nothing but Chrysler products, and now I'm so pissed at them, I might go elsewhere.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I have to agree...I love my Dakota....butbthe journey has been nothing but one headache after another...

Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that's freaking German Engineering for you, they all started by Mercedes Benz. $30k+ car, can't give u $10 Dip stick.
You can buy a Dipstick for $50 from Miller Tool.

Sorry to tell you, But the Journey will probably the Last Dodge product you will ever own. What jkeaton said is true.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM
udaloy

Yeah, I already ordered the Miller Tool. I'm thinking about taking it into the dealer once a month for them to check the fluid. That's about 30 more free appointments until it's out of warranty.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

whats the part number? where do you order?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
whats the part number? where do you order?
http://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=847

Usually Ebay would be cheaper, around $30-$45.
Regarding reading the Dip Stick, look up the Service Manual for ur car for "**** spec", But usually when it reads 40mm-60mm with Car running, you be OK.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 PM
udaloy

I ordered it from ToolSource.com for $46. They have several part numbers, depending on your tranny model, but I really can't see them being that different. It's a stainless steel cable with a flat steel end to it that measures from 0 to 120 MM. It's like three feet long, which I don't get, 'cause I think 18'' would work. Now I just need to remember to throw it in the glove box... When we get the car back from getting fixed, I will check the fluid level when it is cold. That should give me a benchmark. I could run it around the block to completely warm it to get that measurement too. I'll post when I get the chance.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
udaloy

Sorry, here is the description from the website:

Baum Lifetime No Service Transmission Dipstick NAG1, 42RLE, CVT, 62TE
Toolsource #116254
Manufacturers Part Number #B9336A

I was wrong, it was $49.85 plus $8 shipping.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

hmmm....my 09 has a transmission dipstick....

Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
udaloy

I measured the tranny level when cold, 90 MM. I haven't measured it when warmed up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No transmission dipstick