1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

caliper bushing?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Default caliper bushing?

i bought some new calipers for my truck today and they came with caliper bushings and i am not sure what to do with them. i can not find them in any pictures in my Haynes manual or on alldata. when i took it all apart i don't remember there be a caliper bushing. here is what they look like. any help is appreciated.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked in my new Chilton's manual for 89-96 Full size trucks section 9-11 and it shows an inner and outer seal from the caliper piston bore.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the Chrysler calipers used an 0-ring under the upper caliper retaining clip as part of the anti rattle devise. Other than that I have never seen a caliper bushing on a first gen assembled caliper. How big are these bushings?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the bushing looks identical in size to the picture i posted above.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
aje1127
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put front breaks on my 93, they came with that rubber band to,dont know why either.
put them on just like i did my old 78,87,92 same pads, all they do is rattle like hell,dont know why either..

Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 AM
SEAL
Champion

I always replace the retainers and the anti rattle springs any time I do pads. You also need to bend the tabs on the outboard pads to make them tight enough to prevent rattle.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i had bent the tabs in the outboard pad to make them sit nice and snug against the caliper. what i replaced so far seem so work way better than what was there. at least now the one front tire to move way easier when it is off the ground. after i do the brakes on the other side i should be able to turn that side also. just hope the weather co-operate with me and gives me the warm and sunny weather i want so that it make working on my truck easier. also have to pick up some more brake cleaner.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 04-01-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
RamKing
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same thing when i did my brakes, i think they hold the pads in place when you put it back together, so they dont fall out of place

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 PM
SEAL
Champion

The same pads may be used for more than one application and the other application may use that caliper bushing. That way the store doesn't need to stock 2 of the same thing under different numbers.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i guess it might be but the picture i posted was from rock auto and they had that caliper bushings listed for my truck. anyhow i went to replace the caliper and pads on the drivers side today and the both looked almost brand except for a bit of rust. i just pushed the piston in on the caliper and put the old brake pads back on and bled the brake and everything seems to be working like it should. both tires now spin freely like they should when in the air. i think whoever did the brakes on this truck last must have been an idiot since the passenger side pad was about half warn on an old caliper and the driver side looked brand new on a fairly new caliper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: caliper bushing?