2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Ball Joint/Front End Squeak

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad Ball Joint/Front End Squeak

I had an issue with a squeaky front end on a 2001 Ram 4x2. We thought it was coming from the passenger side upper ball joint, so we jacked up the truck and there is no play in the wheel at all. Bad I suppose it could be out of grease too, the boots on ALL the ball joints are pretty well shot.

Anyways after a little more digging it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side coil spring, so after a dose of CRC White Lithium grease the squeak was completely gone and stayed gone for about 2 months. And now's it's back.

After an oil change I sprayed the entire front of the truck with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone, and it squeaked for 2 days, today however, I've noticed just a little squeak on bumps.

At the peak it would squeak over bumps, when during the steering wheel at slow speeds or in park, squeaks if you shake the front of the truck, and when stepping on the running boards to get in or out.

So I decided to check out the ball joints on the driver side, I haven't jacked it up yet to check for play but, I can take my pocket knife and freely spin the arm (I'd guess you'd call it) of the upper ball joint, so I'm sure it's gone.

I've read through the forums and other have had squeak issues with the coil springs.

I've got to change the ball joint (need to change them all) but am curious about the possibility of it being the coil springs squeaking.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i doubt it would be coil springs......if its not the ball joint, id say the shock mounts need to be tightened (100 ft/lbs) or your steering column bushing is shot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Ball Joint/Front End Squeak