Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P0455 OBD-II Trouble Code, 2003 GC

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Gabriel51
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0455 OBD-II Trouble Code, 2003 GC

PO455 indicates a fuel vapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system.
I only get this about once a week and only first thing in the morning within about two miles of driving.
I checked all the hoses in the engine compartment ,which are good but I have not checked the ones underneath yet.
The above symptoms my indicate a specific problem that someone may have already experienced?
Anyone ever have this problem?
Also the gas cap passed State inspection two weeks ago.
Ideas?
Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Gabriel51
Amateur

I went out, put it up on ramps and checked underneath. The only thing I found was the two hoses coming off of the Charcoal canister had broken clamps! The hoses were not loose on the nipples but the white clamps were split so I installed new clamps.
The hoses looked good however the large hose is encapsulated in a sheath and real examination is impossible without removing the hose.
Everything looked new and the hoses were still supple.
We will see in a few days.

Last edited by Gabriel51; 04-15-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a video that shows some likely leak spots and how a shop finds leaks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSn0ljUS6kI

Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Gabriel51
Amateur

Thanks, I had seen that video. The reason I posted here was in hopes of finding someone who would know why this only does this when it has sat over night and within the first couple of miles when driving (but not every time).
If I was familiar with this system I would know why it only does it then,
maybe the pump only runs then? It's not ambient temperature related either.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Gabriel51
Amateur

I pressurized the system this morning with about 5 lbs of air pressure and checked for leaks. I found none up top, however I could hear the air going into the system where I connected the supply air.
So I crawled underneath and could hear air escaping and it was coming from the charcoal canister. I sprayed (spray bottle with soap and water) all the hoses that were hooked to it and none were leaking.
I looked carefully at the pump that is associated with this system because it is near by plus I read it will vent unless the computer closes it but the noise was coming from the charcoal canister , so I pulled it and found a broken mounting tab.
At first I thought I broke it removing it but closer examination reveled that it was already broken as evidenced by the lighter portion that resulted from pulling it back further. See pictures.

I re-secured it with epoxy and fiber glass cloth for reinforcement.
I will return after a few day for an update...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The canister has to be removed for work on another component which I believe is the sway bar bushing on that side. Maybe someone worked on the bushing and got a little carried away on moving it.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Gabriel51
Amateur

Originally Posted by mfahey
The canister has to be removed for work on another component which I believe is the sway bar bushing on that side. Maybe someone worked on the bushing and got a little carried away on moving it.
I think you are right because the screw that holds the rear end of the tray bracket was stripped.
It is a sheet metal screw that goes through a rubber bushing.
I went to the next size up.

Last edited by Gabriel51; 04-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Gabriel51
Amateur
Default Problem solved

The above repair corrected the PO455 code...

Quick Reply: P0455 OBD-II Trouble Code, 2003 GC