1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leaf spring shackle flip. Easy 3.25in lift!! With pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Leaf spring shackle flip. Easy 3.25in lift!! With pics

I needed to match the rear of my truck to the front. So I needed a lift without cheater blocks. So a Shackle mount flip and a longer shackle will be done.

I first got my mounts from http://www.gatsbycars.com/dodge.html
The rears are exactly the same as Ram full size trucks. I can verify the bolt holes are perfect. 1/4in thick nice and strong. Easy bolt in no welding or drilling (if you want that is).

I also got 12 Grade 8 1/2in bolts. Stock brackets only used 4 of the 6 holes. I might as well and use all 6 bolts for extra strength.

So first I started by removing the bed. I didn't want to be grinding with the grinder in my face. I was so easy to remove with a few friends to help lift it.

Next came out the cut off wheel to cut off the rivet heads off. The tops very easy, lowers to some time. Gridded down the rest of the heads and knocked off the stock mount. Then cut off the rest of the rivet body, cut it close to frame without gouging into it. Got a punch and a good hammer and only took a few hits. Each side 15mins. Very easy!!!

The frame holes are slightly under 1/2. Just had to run the drill to make exactly 1/2in. Dropped in the stock 4 and drill the other 2, with the mount as the perfect template. Dropped in the last 2 and tightened them all down.

Put the bed back and reinstalled the stock shackles. For me I need more so I didn't bolt them up, just used the bolts to mock up. I got 3.25in more lift with stock shackles. I will order a Rams 2in lift shackles. The only note I need to say is the Dakota stock shackle hole is 1/2in with the thread smaller. The new mount is 5/8. The lift shackles will fix this, but if others want to use stock bolts may need to use some kind of insert to keep it centered.

Here is a before and after the rear shackle flip.

Another option is just using your stock mount and just turn it upside down. A Ram owner said 2in lift.

Or use a 2wd shackle mount or the front style of the both trucks. You can cut them off of a junkyard truck. But a new replacement bracket is easier to get a hold of.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 04-05-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice...

"hello 2 birds, i'm 1 stone"(in reference to your sas thread and this awesome writeup)

Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm sorry if I missed it, but how did you lift the front?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I did a SAS Solid Axle Swap. A custom axle under the front. It gave me a good 6in vs before and a good 8-9in from stock.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find!! I'm gonna order a set of those for mine. If you recall from my build thread, after I got done with my leaf spring mounts, the wheels were sitting off center and I've been meaning to start over. Those will save me a lot of headache for the rear leaf spring mounts, so I will just have to do the front leaf spring mounts from scratch.

I think I forgot in my write up to talk about having to drill the holes to 1/2 and inch, so I'm glad you covered that!

By the way, just to let you know, there is a very high chance that your rear wheels will be off center from the wheel wells. When you "turn" the leaf springs downward in the rear with the front mounts as a "center point", you are moving the axle forward.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I was thinking if I needed more lift I would just order some for the front mounts. They do custom ones, where they drill the holes. Or blank ones where you drill the holes once you sit it where you want.

As for axle moving up I didn't think to much of it, till I was on the Ram and they claim it moves it a lot. I doubt the new mount moved it much tops .5in. But with the lift shackles it may put it quite a bit more. I have the rearend out so I can do the gears. Once I put it all back together I will measure with the stock shackles and then lift shackle to see if it moves.

I bought some lift shackles from Autozone for $35.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=204654_0_0_

I will post pics in my SAS thread. From a simple measurement it is 2.5in longer than our stocks.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I finished up the Rear axle so I was able to install it and take some measurements of the forward shift of the axle. I'm not sure where stock put the axle within the fender well. I measured from the center of the fender well. With the shackle flip brackets I used and stock shackles I got 1in forward. With the 2.5in lift shackles I got 1.5in total.

By looking at it you can barely tell that is shifted forward. My only concern is the driveshaft slip. If I were doing just the flip brackets the driveshaft would be fine even at full suspension drop. But with the lift shackles I don't have enough clearance forward for the driveshaft slip.

So I ordered these Zero Rate Add A Leafs today. They will shift the axle back 1in or 1.5in and put it to the center of the fender and give me my slip back in the driveshaft.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm

With the lift shackles the rear is now even with the front when measuring from the fender lip. The driveway is at an angel so the front is taller and the passenger side is taller due to the driveway.

I hate to have a lift block but at least it is only 1in thick and not my main point of lift. So the leverage it will give will be minimal. And the added hight will help give the rear a better look.

I still have shocks brake lines and cables to relocate! More and More work!!

Here is the lift shackle installed.

Here is the wheel with the stock shackles 1in forward from center of wheel well.

Here is the wheel with the lift shackles 1.5in forward from center of wheel well.

Here is the truck with the lift shackles installed. Almost full lift.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 AM
93Dakota2wdSport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to do the same thing

i have a 93 dakota sport 2wd 3.9 magnum and want to make it 4x4 with a huge lift, can you please list everything i need to clear 36s or better, Thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by 93Dakota2wdSport
i have a 93 dakota sport 2wd 3.9 magnum and want to make it 4x4 with a huge lift, can you please list everything i need to clear 36s or better, Thanks
You will need to do a SAS Solid Axle Swap. With a 4wd transmission/transfercase and front and a larger rear axles. Tons of cutting tons of welding. Check my SAS in my signature.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
codeym
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanna lift my truck, but dont quite understand how this lift the truck heres some pics of my shackle hangers(91 v6 single cab 2wd):

i have a buddy at a welding shop so he could make some shackle but im not quite sure exactly how they lift the truck

Quick Reply: Leaf spring shackle flip. Easy 3.25in lift!! With pics