Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

SeaFoam -- Where do i POUR?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question SeaFoam -- Where do i POUR?

I own a 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.3 and 2003 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3L V6). I was told to purchase some SeaFoam to help clean out the car. The Mercedes still hasnt passed the Emissions Test here in Ontario.

According to SeaFoam's instructions it can be added to the Crankcase (oil), Fuel Tank, and Fuel Line / Vacuum / Induction Cleaning Systems. I am a novice when it comes to my cars and SeaFoam is an unknown product to me. My understanding is i can SAFELY add one-third of the 473ml can into my crankcase (where i normally pour oil), one-third into my fuel tank, and the remaining third into ???

Where exactly is this Fuel Line / Vacuum / Induction System it is referring to for my 2003 Dodge Caravan SE and, if possible, on my 1991 Mercedes 190E?

Here are photos of my engines:

(2003 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3 V6)

(1992 Mercedes 190E 2.3)

LASTLY, i already performed a Oil & Filter change for both vehicles. Would adding SeaFoam require me to get a whole new Oil & Filter change?

Much Appreciated!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
crusty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it seems the seafoam company owns all of these forums what a sales pitch

Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I have never used seafoam. So I couldn't tell you. I would go to the part store were you brought it and ask them, how to put the seafoam into the van and car.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
wtribeflyer
Professional

In my opinion you would see very little or no changes by adding seafoam to your car. It can aid in cleaning carbon deposits from valves and combustion chambers but my experience with it is that it has very little effect. I can't imagine it would help you pass an emissions test.

If you feel you must add it to a vacuum line, check under the hood of the car for a vacuum diagram. Start the car and pull a small line off. Clamp it with some pliers or something. Stick the end of the hose into your Seafoam and slowly release your clamp allowing seafoam into the induction system. The engine will sound rough and it will smoke like a big dog for a bit. Rev it to work it through. Repeat this until your 1/3 bottle is gone.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
funkamedic

seamfoam actually fixed a valve tap on my gmc truck that the dealership told me to "live with"

I used it on my 2002 voyager van. I just disconncted the intake at the TB and used a small tube with a funnel. It does throw a engine code but just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and it will be gone.

I also add it to my gas once a couple times year and if I can remember I put some in the crank case (cause the van is used and I dont know how much sludge is in the engine) 200 miles before oil change.

I also put it in the snow blower gas, I feel its a good product.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funkamedic
seamfoam actually fixed a valve tap on my gmc truck that the dealership told me to "live with"

I used it on my 2002 voyager van. I just disconncted the intake at the TB and used a small tube with a funnel. It does throw a engine code but just disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and it will be gone.

I also add it to my gas once a couple times year and if I can remember I put some in the crank case (cause the van is used and I dont know how much sludge is in the engine) 200 miles before oil change.

I also put it in the snow blower gas, I feel its a good product.
Not at all trying to pick on you but you are here talking about additives. Just curious. Do you live in a wintery region where you get a lot of lousy weather? I've been maintaining cars for 35 years and have yet to add any type of additives for any reason. All of my cars have run like a top and nearly all wind up with at least 100K+ miles. I've been living in a desert region with very mild winters and 6-8 inches of rain a year for the last 19 years. Before that I lived in England, way upstate NY and New Hampshire. I'm wondering how much the climate your car operates in has to do with the need for additives.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Not at all trying to pick on you but you are here talking about additives. Just curious. Do you live in a wintery region where you get a lot of lousy weather? I've been maintaining cars for 35 years and have yet to add any type of additives for any reason. All of my cars have run like a top and nearly all wind up with at least 100K+ miles. I've been living in a desert region with very mild winters and 6-8 inches of rain a year for the last 19 years. Before that I lived in England, way upstate NY and New Hampshire. I'm wondering how much the climate your car operates in has to do with the need for additives.
Apparently the Seafoam people have sold the public a bill of goods. They made them think they're selling Mechanic-In-A-Can. Hell, you can use tapwater and accomplish the same thing. That is IF there is enough carbon present to cause an issue, and IF it can be removed by this method. However, I wonder how many people have bent rods/valves and fouled plugs because they used it wrong?

Last edited by TNtech; 04-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM
funkamedic

Originally Posted by Cougar41
ok let me be more clear. I used seafoam Once in the intake of my van and my truck. The truck I bought new and ran the seafoam thru at 90k. Thats when the tap stopped and never been back since. I used it on the van right after I got it used at 60k, I am 92k on it now, impossible to say if it helped or not.

I was pleased with how my truck reacted to it, so thats why I used it on the van. And also use it in my snow blower. I have probably purchased 4 cans in my lifetime. Not a big deal. I dont use any other additives

I live in the North East

Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
crusty

youtube has a install of seafoam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SeaFoam -- Where do i POUR?