Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Check engine light

Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM
bubbamace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light

Hi all,
I've got a 2007 Dodge 3500 Mega cab dually with approximately 75,000 miles on it. It has the Cummins 6.7 L engine and is showing a check engine light (also referred to as a Malfunction Indicator Light). A friend of mine says it is probably nothing and I can unhook the battery cable for 20 minutes and the system will reset. I don't have a OBD II reader on the truck. If anyone who has had this problem or is aware of it, please let me know what you think. I don't want to do damage to my truck, but would love to fix it myself if possible. Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately a MIL can indicate everything from emissions being non-compliant to the end of the world being near. You really should have your OBDII read. There are 'how-to's' on the forum that will allow you to extract the codes from your odometer display. I personally cannot remember the steps. I know as an owner of one of these machines that the stress of having a MIL on does not help when trying to ensure your going to fit between the two honda civics at the next light.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 PM
98Dakota
Rookie

OBD'2 are cheap to get these days near $60 on sale here for that i would just buy one and read the codes and see what is going on ....or go to your local autozone or parts store and see if they will lend you one for a few min to check..

Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 PM
bubbamace

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Unfortunately a MIL can indicate everything from emissions being non-compliant to the end of the world being near. You really should have your OBDII read. There are 'how-to's' on the forum that will allow you to extract the codes from your odometer display. I personally cannot remember the steps. I know as an owner of one of these machines that the stress of having a MIL on does not help when trying to ensure your going to fit between the two honda civics at the next light.
Thanks for your input, Cthulhu. Your right. That MIL can really be a distraction and I don't want to damage anything. Older gas engines I can understand, but the diesel and associated electronics are not my thing. I notice you have a bullydog set-up on your diesel. Does it also give you codes and allow you to clear them? The reason I ask is that a friend has a Banks system and not only can he make adjustments on the engine and transmission, he can also clear and monitor codes and watch his tempuratures. He also has a handheld device like an Ipod that he can see the same information outside the truck. I was impressed by his system.
Anyway, I decided to take the truck in to the dealer where I bought it and fork out the big bucks. I don't know a good diesel mechanic and will have to start looking for one in this area. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
bubbamace

Originally Posted by 98Dakota
OBD'2 are cheap to get these days near $60 on sale here for that i would just buy one and read the codes and see what is going on ....or go to your local autozone or parts store and see if they will lend you one for a few min to check..
Thanks 98Dakota. I think I'll take her over to the Dodge Dealership for now. I realize that the OBD II readers are cheap, but after you get a code, you have to figure out exactly what sensor or other item is involved. From what I understand the code gives you an idea of what is wrong. It could be several different things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I have been told and read. I think since I just got the truck and have never had a diesel truck before, I will pay this time and then start to save for a Banks or Bullydog system.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I just have the Bullydog TD... I want the dash display but need the cash first.

The Unit I have shows me the trouble codes.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM
bubbamace

Well, I took the truck to the local Dodge dealer and they found that the O2 module and both 02 sensors were out. They replaced all these items under warranty since they are part of the emissions system. The first question they asked me was the truck ever altered such as a chip. Keep that in mind since the warranty on emissions is a lot longer than the 3 year/36,000 mile standard warranty. Anyway, I walked out of there owing $000. I couldn't believe it. Until I have the truck longer than the emissions warranty, I'm not touching a thing.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Notice they asked you if you ever installed a chip on it...

The answer is ALWAYS no!

Most chips when removed are hard to detect. Always remove the chip before taking it to the service dept.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
bubbamace

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Notice they asked you if you ever installed a chip on it...

The answer is ALWAYS no!

Most chips when removed are hard to detect. Always remove the chip before taking it to the service dept.
After that experience, I don't think I'll chip the motor. I pull a 23' Weekend Warrior and don't really need to. I bought this for the four wheel drive and dual wheels for stability due to the high winds in the passes we go through. It was blowing my 1500 around quite a bit. And the idea of getting stuck in the sand sucks, if you know what I mean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light