Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Caravan 2000 3.3Liter - Spark Plugs

Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM
PTMechanic58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caravan 2000 3.3Liter - Spark Plugs

What is the best ( most easiest ) way to get the back three spark plugs out ?

From underneath the engine or from above ?

Also getting the P0303 engine code ( cyl 3 misfire ). Anybody know what has worked for them to fix this. Going after the sparkplug, wire, etc first. Maybe the coil pack.

Help !!!

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
papaduck
Professional

Go over the top of the engine to get to the plugs. Have to work blind but not hard.

For the missfire replace the plug first. If you have at least 80k miles on the plugs replace the whole set. Be sure to use exact brand and type.

If you still have a missfire replace the wire by swapping with another cylinder. If the missfire moves replace the wire set.

If the missfire stays at no 3, could be the coil. Not sure if you can swap the coils but before getting a new one, open the wire bundle and make sure there are no exposed wires. Known problem.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Dthane62

Papaduck, I want to do this on my 2001 GC, which has 140k on it, but I really don't want to mess with belts, etc like it says in the Haynes. I like your strategy, but am not very tall, are we talking throw down a 2x12 and lay down right on top of the motor? I am ok with the blind part, so it sounds like a challenge. Any tips on valve cover changing, I realize that's more involved.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 AM
905ranger
Amateur

I'm going to have to pull the #1 plug in the morning. I'm getting a 301 code and the last time I got that I pulled it and cleaned it. That helped.

Does anybody have any tips on the #1 Plug?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can remove the wiper crowl to get better access
thats what I did when I did my plugs/wires/pcv valve
my was an 06

see here on how too https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...rowl-pics.html

Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
papaduck
Professional

Originally Posted by Dthane62
Papaduck, I want to do this on my 2001 GC, which has 140k on it, but I really don't want to mess with belts, etc like it says in the Haynes. I like your strategy, but am not very tall, are we talking throw down a 2x12 and lay down right on top of the motor? I am ok with the blind part, so it sounds like a challenge. Any tips on valve cover changing, I realize that's more involved.
Change the plugs while the engine is cold. You could use a heavy cover on the engine such as a piece of carpet or blanket.

You can get to the rear plugs from underneath but is still a reach. It is easier for me to go over the top. You will not have to reach very far to get to the plugs.

Why do you want to do a valve cover change? If you do not have a oil leak and the engine is internally OK , don't take off the valve cover.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Dthane62

I wouldn't say I have a major leak, but maybe a seep. It is not like I am adding oil in between changes, but just a little is visible, and I am always afraid of spontaneous ignition given the temps under that hood, so I like to keep things clean in there.

One of biggest challenges was on my other van, a 97 Transport where you have to strap the engine and crank it forward to reach the back 3 plugs. That was an experience.

For my Dodge, it says Champion RN14PMP5 or equivalent. Is this the best for a 140K Grand Sport? Any other suggestions? My Autozone showed me a printout of 14 different plugs that range in price from $2.29 each to $12.99 each, or roughly $14 to $78. Is there that big of a difference? Performance? Mileage? I don't want something running so hot that it damages anything inside. Thoughts?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 AM
papaduck
Professional

Use the Champion plugs. Others have had problems with other brand plugs and the problems went away when replaced with the Champions.

A little seepage of oil should not cause a fire unless it is getting on the exhaust manifold. I would wash it down and if it takes a while to get messy again I would just clean it when washing the vehicle. Or you can remove and reinstall the valve cover. I do not know if it uses a gasket or if RTV silicone is used.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM
jvspeagle
Cool spark pluggs

Originally Posted by papaduck
Go over the top of the engine to get to the plugs. Have to work blind but not hard.

For the missfire replace the plug first. If you have at least 80k miles on the plugs replace the whole set. Be sure to use exact brand and type.

If you still have a missfire replace the wire by swapping with another cylinder. If the missfire moves replace the wire set.

If the missfire stays at no 3, could be the coil. Not sure if you can swap the coils but before getting a new one, open the wire bundle and make sure there are no exposed wires. Known problem.
The best way is from under the vehicle, Its kinda difficult but possible, easier than from top of motor. I know this from exp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Caravan 2000 3.3Liter - Spark Plugs