Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 2.4 DOHC runs rough w/code.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM
clintonracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 2.4 DOHC runs rough w/code.

Hello again. I have recently changed my water pump and timing belt in my 04 Stratus Sedan. The car ran great for about a week but lately over the last two days has been running extremely rough at idle and occasionally stalls as well. It hadn't thrown a code until last night and it now has a code P0172 for system too rich bank 1. I got out my Genisys code scanner/data logger and had it read the following data (warm 200 degrees and at idle 750):

IAC pulse 16-31
IAC current 199-367
IAC total airflow 1.4-3.6
Cam-crank difference 15.5 deg
Crank sync out of state Outsync
Cam sync state Insync
02 volts bank 1 sense 2 3.39m volts (stays right around there unless I give it gas)
02 volts bank 1 sense 1 2.64-3.17 volts (jumps around)
Bank 2 no reading (probably because there isn't a bank 2??)

I used to be a Linc/Merc tech but didn't do much driveability work so I admit I'm lacking in those skills. When I did the water pump/timing belt I turned the motor over 6-7 times and all the timing marks lined up so I assumed I was good to go. Does the "crank out of sync" pid above mean the crank/cams are out of time? I thought I had left a vacuum hose loose but looking at that engine I can only see 2 coming off of the intake and they were fine. Does this car have an EGR valve and if so, where is it? It kind of acts like it's stuck. Rock Auto lists an EGR valve for this car but I don't think it has one.

I also smell exhaust/fuel fumes since it has been running rough but can't find a leak. I did remove the 4 bolts from the exhaust manifold/converter assly. to allow the engine to be raised enough to access things while doing the pump and belt but that looks to be tight. Once you get off idle the car runs great with decent power.

Any ideas? Do you guys think it has jumped timing? I followed the timing belt/tensioner procedure to a T and it all seemed to go fine.

Thanks!

DH

Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Remove the timing belt and inspect the pins on the cam shafts. One of them could have snapped off.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
clintonracer

Sounds good I'm going to check it out tomorrow or Thursday. A guy on another board said to check the cam timing marks with a straightedge too to see if maybe I'm off on the timing.

Clint

Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 PM
dstynlee

Could the pins. Cause -9.7 degree cam crank difference ?

Quick Reply: 2004 2.4 DOHC runs rough w/code.