Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replacing strut mount

Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM
LYLY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing strut mount

I want to replace the strut mount(driver side), if anybudy did it before please share your experiences.
My quetion is, can I replace the strut mount without removing the strut?
I do not know after (on car)compressing the spring as much as I can, if there's enough clearance to take the strut mount out.
Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Replacing strut mount-strut-mount.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You need to have the strut removed and the spring too. Then realign the front end.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. omly I took my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan to a local body shop and had them do it. cost me $175.00 for the driverside. i'll wait until I can afford to have the pass side done. the part that needs to be used must be welded onto the top which means yes it needs to be removed, that's why I used a body shop. only took about 2.5 hours that way I know it's done the right way. gook luck

Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The top mount isn't welded to anything but as Master Tech said, the strut assembly has to be removed. If you are reinstalling the orginal strut, an alignment isn't neccessary because the strut isn't adjustable. You can rent a spring compressor. Cost of the top is pretty cheap. Oh, and put a top bearing in also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing strut mount