2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Gear/Shift indicator missing!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 PM
LadySashya
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear/Shift indicator missing!

I have a 98 Ram 1500 that suddenly lost the red indicator line completely! My mechanic said "the cable might have slipped off" but that it was a pain in the butt to get to because he'd have to take off the whole dash, etc. I decided to tackle it myself. The problem is that the tab is there as is the END of the cable, the crimped piece of metal that it used to be attached to, but no actual cable! I have no idea where it went to, haven't found anything laying on the floorboard and after twisting myself around under the steering column and looking up with a flashlight, I don't see anything out of place or a loose cable hanging down. I thought that I could certainly rig something with another piece of cable or something similar but I don't know where the other end hooks to. I couldn't access where I assumed the cable would go up into the dash where the red indicator would be, couldn't find an easy way in there so maybe my mechanic was right and I'd have to pull the whole dash (I'd rather not, it has a crack in it from the last dash-pull to repair the A/C last summer). Does anyone have any advice as to how to access the actual indicator end where the cable should attach? Do you have any pictures of that area? Is it possible that I could rig it by fashioning another cable and attaching it that way? I'm assuming it loops up and over the steering column to go from the left side where the tab and adjustment screw are to the right side where the gear indicator shows on the dash. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know if your 98 is different from my 01 or not - but on the 01, you don't have to pull the dash or do anything overly complicated. your mechanic might be exaggerating.

you do need to remove the knee panel, and maybe? the column covers, and the dash trim bezel thingy.

under the dash is a small white plastic wheel that adjusts the tension on the cable. the cable is small, not more than 1/16 inch or so. mine was a plastic, maybe green in color.

one end of the cable is attached to the shifter lever, so if you move the shifter back and forth from one extreme to another, you might see the cable moving.

the PRNDL indicator is a bolt in module in the cluster. its spring loaded to one end or the other? and the shifter moves the red line indicator back and forth. with the cable broken or disconnected, the indicator goes to the spring end, probably disappearing from sight.

if the cable is broken, you'll need to remove the cluster. its just unplugs by pulling it straight out (with prndl cable disconnected), and sort of wiggle it out. flip it over and replace the PRNDL module in the back side with a new one, or at least a new cable. i don't know if the cable itself is replaceable or not. i replaced my cluster once, and had to move my PRNDL, because the junkyard had cut the old cable.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 AM
LadySashya

Thanks....that gives me something to start with. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Wheaty
Default broken shifter lever bracket

Just discovered why my 01 3500 shift indicator does not move the prnd red bar. The cable housing is broken and plastic bracket on steering column shift lever is detached. Dealer Parts can order the indicator and cable for a reasonable price, but say the column bracket is no longer available. Dealer says they can order a new column with the bracket for $1600. Forget it!!

I have had trouble finding one at a junk yard. Has anyone else come up with a better solution to this dealer part support problem? Driving is not a problem for me, but it will cause my wife bonkers.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Try LMC Truck. They might be able to get it.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:33 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Wheaty

Used column with plastic bracket cost $100 @ Turners Salvage. Bracket came off easy. Since the dash appeared to have been removed previously, someone may have dropped the column without removing the prndl cable. The weight would explain both ends of cable housing being broken off as well as the column bracket jerked out. Sure wish someone would make a plastic replacement for about $10. Thanks for everyone's replys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear/Shift indicator missing!