3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Oil Pan replacement advise needed

Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM
macplee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan replacement advise needed

After the U joint project, I am up for the next item on my list. Oil Pan.

2004 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi

I will be replacing the oil plan for my truck soon. Any tips from you pros out there? I have heard/read that you may need t loosen the engine mount and jack the engine up slightly? Is that necessary?

I live in Boston and the oil pan is rusty from the snow and salt. My biggest concern for this job is breaking the bolts. I have already purchased a set of new bolts from the dealer for $11. Purchased OEM oil pan and gasket. I will be spraying a rubberize coating on the new pan before installing.

Any tips and advises will be greatly appreciated. And I will post photo write-up for this too when I work on it.

Many thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, you will need to take loose and lift the engine to get it off and out. Try also downloading the 04 Srvc Man from the links in my sig and look at page 1447

OIL PAN - REMOVAL

(1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.
(2) Install engine support fixture special tool #8534. Do not raise engine at this time.
(3) Loosen both left and right side engine mount through bolts. Do not remove bolts.
(4) Remove the structural dust cover, if equipped.
(5) Drain engine oil.
(6) Remove the front crossmember(Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/FRONT CROSSMEMBER - REMOVAL).

CAUTION: Only raise the engine enough to provide clearance for oil pan removal. Check for proper clearance at fan shroud to fan and cowl to intake manifold.

(7) Raise engine using special tool # 8534 to provide clearance to remove oil pan.

NOTE: Do not pry on oil pan or oil pan gasket. Gasket is integral to engine windage tray and does not come out with oil pan.

(8) Remove the oil pan mounting bolts and oil pan.

NOTE: The double ended oil pan studs must be installed in the same location that they were removed from.

(9)
Unbolt oil pump pickup tube and remove tube.
(10) Inspect the integral windage tray and gasket and replace as needed.

INSTALLATION

(1) Clean the oil pan gasket mating surface of the block and oil pan.
(2) Inspect the integral windage tray and gasket and replace as needed.
(3) Reinstall the oil pump pickup tube with new o-ring. Tighten tube to pump fasteners to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).

NOTE: The double ended oil pan studs must be installed in the same location that they were removed from.

(4)
Position the oil pan and install the mounting bolts and studs.. Tighten the mounting bolts to 12 N·m (105 in.lbs.).
(5) Lower the engine into mounts using special tool # 8534.
(6) Install both the left and right side engine mount through bolts. Tighten the nuts to 68 N·m (50 ft. lbs.).
(7) Remove special tool # 8534.
(8) Install structural dust cover, if equipped.
(9) Install the front crossmember(Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/FRONT CROSSMEMBER - INSTALLATION).
(10) Fill engine oil.
(11) Reconnect the negative battery cable.
(12) Start engine and check for leaks.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very afraid of those bolts also....If they are super rusty I would start hitting them with PB blaster about 2 weeks before you plan on digging in. Never hurts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pan replacement advise needed