3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

left side trailer brake lights don't work

Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
areinike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left side trailer brake lights don't work

and it's not the trailer as it happened on another trailer and where I got my brake controller installed, the tester they used also indicated a problem. I can't seem to decypher the wiring diagram just wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what it could be. the blinkers work, hazards, just when I press the brake, the left side is out. Sounds like a definite wiring issue - and I hate electrical .. uhg.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Geezir
Veteran

I have the same issue except it's my left signal AND brake lights.

I did some quick testing and can't pin point the problem. I'm going to pull the 7 pin plug from the bumper and check all the connections on the back and hopefully that's the source of the problem.

Worst case I'm just going to t-tap my left rear light harness for my signal and brake light. My electric brakes still work so it seems like the easiest solution.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 PM
areinike
Veteran

Yeah, my blinkers work on that side which is the weird part.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Not really weird...but unless you want to start tracing wires all the way back and doing what can become some intesnive testing then t-tapping your harness is your best bet.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM
areinike
Veteran

Actually, the whole left side doesn't work. I had a temporary cap installed a few years ago, and the techs wired in a brake light to it. Seems they ran a direct line from the taillight assembly to the yellow wire in the 7-point connector. Figured out I wanted brakes more than turn signals, I wired in the (looked like) while with yellow or some other light color stripe in the same harness. Seems as thought they found a problem and rigged the blinker circuit to the harness. I changed it to the brakes. But still want to find out what the real problem is.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess you have checked all of the fuses in the fuse box for the trailer lights. Had to ask.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

I had a problem with any trailer lights on my 02, both tail lights worked and both blinkers would work, but brake lights never worked. Everyone always said fuses but fuses were fine. I thought my truck came with a factory tow package (still not sure) but finally a U-haul store tech told me I needed a "3 to 2 light converter" (or something like that). Basically prior my trailer wires were just tapped to the top bulb on the tail lights (blinker and tail lights) but it was the middle bulb that only lit up with the brakes. It took a little while to install because I tapped into the wrong wires first but now my trailer wires work great. Not sure if your trouble is the same but I wanted to share this. I searched for quite a while but never could find a post with the problem I had

Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM
HouseApe
Professional

Dodge put relays in for the Turn/Brake and for the park lights. So if your Turn works but not the brake then the relay and fues is good.

EDIT:
The problem must be in the fuesbox if your turn works but not the brake.

Last edited by HouseApe; 05-03-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Joe.Dallacqua@Gmail.com

I am having a problem with the left side trailer blinker and stop lamp. I dug into it for a coup[le of hours the other night and I am going to get at it again tonight. My thought is that it is an issue up front of the truck. Its an issue with the trailer brake device or a relay or modulator near the fuse box. I will find out tonight and let you know, I have a solid electrical background and all the tools and testers anyone would ever need. I was sort of amused when i saw on this post that other were having the same issue and always with the left side. We will find out tonight.

Joe

Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM
HouseApe
Professional

If bolth don't work then its either the fues or mostlikely the relay. Oh and you can't change the relay as its "totaly intergrated" into the fues box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: left side trailer brake lights don't work