3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

spark plugs for an 08 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
FruitaCrawler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plugs for an 08 4.7

i need a little help finding a set of spark plugs for my 08 ram with the 4.7. all of the local parts stores here list only one plug per cylinder when my truck has the 2 per cylinder. what brands are you guys having good luck with and part numbers would help. thanks

Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Ben D.
Champion

bottom row plugs are good till 100k... or you could do sooner..

top plugs are a Bosch 7962.. factory uses Bosch they are a different part number but there isn't any difference.. the plugs i pulled were a tad bit longer on the threaded end that goes into the motor.. But that really doesn't matter.

either way top plugs are easy to do... remove intake tube, resonator box and then each coil has a 10mm bolt pull it off and then remove/reinstall plug.

The reason the autoparts stores list the same plugs and don't show different is because the plugs from the top work in the bottom as well.. Same thread pattern/pitch and what not.. Only difference is that to tops are copper plugs.. which the bosch 7962 is a copper plug. Copper plugs don't last as long as other electrode types so the tops have to be changed at 30k according to service manual.

Bottom row plugs are much more difficult to get to. From what I can tell when I go to do mine in a few years i'll have to pull the wheels and inner fenders almost as if I was doing a new set of headers.. Seems like a great pairing of projects IMO... lol Either way bottom row plugs are a bosch iridium.. the iridium plugs have a service life of 100k according to the manual. IDK if i'll let mine go that long but either way unless you're at 50k mileage or more I'd just do top row plugs

Either way just get a set of 8 bosch 7962's and you'll be fine. I've been running them for 12k ish miles and my truck hasn't had any issues with them.. My MPG's have seemed to be a bit better since the plug change but not by anything crazy..

This may have changed now but back a year and a half ago that I did mine NGK didn't make a plug for the truck and the only other plug brand I think I found was denso. I figure bosch is factory for this motor just run bosch..

here's a link to the bosch website with the plugs for your truck selected..

http://www.boschsparkplugs.net/resul...tTypeID=1&pt=1

Last edited by Ben D.; 05-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just checked NGK's site. No 4.7L plugs, just 3.7 and 5.7.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:01 AM
Ben D.
Champion

yea I spoke with a guy from NGK way back before I bought mine.. called their tech line just to see.. the way he described it was that bosch has a patent or the specs on the plugs for the 08 4.7 and they have only handed them out to certain people..

I say just run bosch seeing as the hemi and the v6 seem to run best on the stock plugs or something very similiar.. I got my 7962's on sale at a parts store for 1.29 each.. can't beat that for some good old coppers.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 PM
FruitaCrawler

so i got some of the bosch oe plugs and went to change them tonigh but ran into a problem my napa plug socket was to big to fit into the plug well. so i need a sugestion on where to find a thin wall socket that will fit into the tiny plug well on the 4.7

Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Amateur

Originally Posted by FruitaCrawler
so i got some of the bosch oe plugs and went to change them tonigh but ran into a problem my napa plug socket was to big to fit into the plug well. so i need a sugestion on where to find a thin wall socket that will fit into the tiny plug well on the 4.7

Buy a cheapo plug socket, get your grinder and carefully make one.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What parts stores were you searching with locally?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Ben D.
Champion

thin walls can be found at sears and other places.. mine was just small enough to fit in but kept pissing me off because when pulling it out it kept falling off the extension.. So i found a cheap beat up extension instead of my good one... and welded it to the socket lol.. Problem solved..

Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was gonna suggest Sears too.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I got lucky and got mine at advance auto for like 3 dollars... wasn't a thin wall but it looked thin enough to work..

Later I bought one at sears.. although IDK why.. not gonna do plugs in this thing for another....30k miles ha

Quick Reply: spark plugs for an 08 4.7