Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny Problem/ Tranny Grounds

Old 05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problem/ Tranny Grounds

So i have been having tranny problems for the past couple days now. Ill be driving around and around 70mph and the tranny will down shift or up shift. Today **hit hit the fan almost got stranded 45 minutes from home. So this is the problem these are what I've heard. One adjustment of bands. Two band battery grounds. And last but not least a bad tranny ground. Now i don't know what or where the ground is but i think i found it just need some A Team help on making sure i'm right. Below is three pics of what looks like a ground ribbon that's hanging on by a thread. It looks like it go's up into the top part of the tranny. Can anybody identify this problem and PLEASE help me out here. Also anything else that might be the problem. Things i have already tried to fix. One flushed tranny Two cleaned battery terminals very well and three? well i guess its just two. Please help there will be a bottle of Jack Daniels Fedex to whoever helps with this problem and its the solution

Attached Thumbnails Tranny Problem/ Tranny Grounds-tranny-ground-1.jpg   Tranny Problem/ Tranny Grounds-tranny-2.jpg   Tranny Problem/ Tranny Grounds-tranny-ground-cracked.jpg  
Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing you've got a 6.7 with the 68rfe? If so, there are no bands to adjust. That IS a ground strap - which could be very important as your trans is COMPLETELY electronic - it isn't a hydrolic trans like the older 727-based trannies.

It's hard to tell based on your pics, but can you see where both ends of that ground are? If so, I'd just get some 10-ga stranded wire and throw a couple of ring terminals on the ends and replace the ground strap.

Why your ground strap is ripped, that's another mystery.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

Its a 06 with a 5.9. with a ATS tranny in it based of the 48fe tranny. I have no idea how the hell the ground strap got ripped. Its like a little meatl ribbon and that's all. The other end of the ground was all the way on to p of the tranny by the valve body. i had to take it to a shop to have them take a peak at it. Its ready for pick up today we shall see how it drives. Crossing my fingers

Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM
horatio102
Champion

Oh, so it's a 48re based off the 727, which can shift (first through third anyway, iirc) without electronics. The ground is still important, as is keeping the bands adjusted properly.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

Fixed the ground and adjusted the bands on Monday. Already put 1500k on it and it seems to be working great. Last night I slapped my buddy around in his M3 so I know the tranny can take the beaten. Thanks for everybody's advise and for anybody else out there with tranny problems. Check the simple things first before dropping more paper into it then need be.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

Ya I retract that statement. Tranny is acting up again any other advice?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 PM
horatio102
Champion

Ok so what exactly is it doing, and what are you doing when it does it?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 AM
hottrodder67
Professional

Driving alone right around 65-70 it rebate up and feels like the tranny is not locking up. My tranny guy thinks its the computer on he tranny.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 AM
horatio102
Champion

My father in-law has come across a 4*re that was having issues with shifting, the dealership told him it was solenoids but it turns out it was the PCM. It very well could be a computer glitch. I'll talk to my co-worker here in a few to see what he has to say (he rebuilt trannies for 30 some-odd years, for Dodge/Chrysler dealers quite a few of those years)

Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

The PCM is what controls the tranny from shifting correct? My guy had a old one around the shop slapped it on it and it shifted fine for the past two days he's had it. He's going to put a new one on it tomorrow. Would a bad PCM make the tranny hunt for the gears and miss shift?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Problem/ Tranny Grounds