Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

a/c compressor and clutch noise

Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 PM
dogsofwar37
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c compressor and clutch noise

Hello fellow dodge owners out there...I recently bought a 1995 dodge caravan Se...And noticed there was noise coming from the compressor and clutch...I have never owned any kind of dodge before...There fore i am seeking help...with this problem...The van is in pretty good shape...To have 280000 miles on it...And the price was even better...Gave only $400 for it...So it was a steal...Anyways...With everything off...If i turn the clutch by hand...Should it be kinda hard to turn?...Are should it spin freely?...Any help would be greatly appreciated concerning this matter...Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The A/C compressor always make a clicking sound when the clutch engauges, If the fan belt is removed. The pulley would move easy, the clutch would be hard to turn by hand.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 PM
dogsofwar37

There is always a noise coming from the clutch...When the vehicle is running...Engaged or Not...With the belt on...It is fairly easy to spin the clutch... Is this normal?...It is making the worse noise...I have ever heard in my life.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 AM
agent00kevin

Its most likely going out. Thats how mine died. Expect about 240$ for a replacement. If the AC lines are leaking it will make the new one go out sooner then normal as well, since the refrigerant also has the lubricant for the internal parts in it. You can buy a replacement bypass pulley for around 30$. Its not an extremely tough job, but it can be annoying because theres not much space to work with when it comes to getting access to the bolts.

Last edited by agent00kevin; 05-14-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 PM
dogsofwar37

In regards to the compressor and clutch...Can i just put a shorter belt on it?...Like i have said before...I know nothing about a dodge...So any feed back would be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:31 PM
dogsofwar37
Angry Please help...Im still seeking advice advice on what to do

I have a 1995 Dodge Caravan Se and previously asked if there was away for me to bypass the a/c compressor and clutch?...Can i use a shorter belt?...With the van running...With the ac on or off...The clutch is making a grinding noise and looks like it is trying to freeze up...When the belt is turning it...So i am seeking advice...Before it seizes up completely...I am a new dodge owner...Any help would be appreciated...Also does anyone know a site online...Where you can find interior parts...Such as door panels and so on...Besides on ebay. Thanks

Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a 3.3 or 3.8, I know of no way to bypass the compressor. to get a van with no a/c, it came with a 4 cyl or the 3.0L

Old 05-14-2011, 09:09 PM
dogsofwar37
Default Need Help Please...Can i bypass it or Not?

The question is...I have a 1995 Dodge Caravan Se 3.3 v-6...The compressor will be freezing up soon...So it appears...I have been told i can bypass the a/c compressor with a shorter belt and then i have been told...That i cannot...Does anyone know for sure?...If i can bypass with a shorter belt?...Seeking advice and feed back concerning this matter...I am new here...And not getting alot of feedback...From previous post...Thanks and God Bless

Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No you cannot bypass it, sadly your gonna have to replace the compressor

Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 PM
dogsofwar37
Default Please Help Im still Needing Advice A/C

I was told today...That there is a pulley...That i can get to replace the A/C compressor...I have never heard of this before?...Would appreciate any feedback yall can offer...Was also told...I could get a compressor for around $240...Does that sound about right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c compressor and clutch noise