3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Axle/axle shafts cause vibration?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle/axle shafts cause vibration?

I have been chasing this vibration for a couple months. Rebalanced all four tires twice. They balanced fine, wheel bearings are not making any noise. Get up to 45+ MPH and there is a faint vibration. 65 MPH it gets worse, like a warped rotor shakes. Replaced calipers and rotors up front a month ago. Hit a bump, it gets worse and stays bad even when slowing down. (almost like a death wobble but it's not.) What the H311 can this vibration be. I am seriously thinking about trading her in if I can't figure this out.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

you would hear clicking sounds going around corners if it was the cv joints. sounds most definitely speed related if it gets worse with speed. did it vibrate before you plasti dipped the wheels? just thinking out loud here. have you got up to 65 or so, with it vibrating, and put it in neutral to let the RPM's drop? does the vibration go away or still there (you can narrow it to the driveline this way), try rotating the tires. is it in the steering wheel or seat of the pants? Cant imagine warped rotors causing a vibration if your not on the brakes at the time. the death wobble thing concerns me, how to your front end parts (tie rods, end links, ball joints, etc) look? Have you checked your driveshaft for missing weights? Do you hear any noises? clicking, chirping, grinding?

Last edited by jkeaton; 05-16-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there are plenty of items that cause vibrations, and you can chase them for ever. It can get costly trying to find the issue.

For me. my vibration was caused by a back rack and pinion, not holding pressure.

For others.. a bad U-joint, wheel bearing, wheel out of balance, warped rotors, bad rear drums, trashed cv shaft, bad tie rods.

You can get a drive shaft tested, but I am sure it is costly, and unlikely the issue. I would steer more towards a bad u-joint, or bad CV shaft.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Front wheel bearing

Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
rengnath
Champion

Those plasti dipped wheels may be a good start ..... when I went mudding in my truck, I couldnt take it over 45mph or the truck was shaking. There wasnt even that much mud either.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it stick or auto?

i just got rid one my shank if you look in my picture you will see a spanked clutch (only had 7 k on it)

Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your gunna let a vibration make you trade your truck in? good thing you dont plan on going with any custom suspension. that stuff always needs maintenance. mine shakes at that speed too. and im 2wd so i doubt its your cv. probably wheel bearings or play in the rack and steering system is what i would be checking.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Ok, thanks guys. It didn't do this before a plasti-dipped them but I have had the rebalanced twice. I can feel it in the steering wheel, pedals and seat. It also get worse when I apply the brakes. Should I check rear drum and shoes? The truck is not making any noise which is weird. (except that stupid brake squeal).

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

have you checked the rear wheel bearings?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

The vibration is gone. Been driving around for an hour or so this morning listening and trying to diagnose. No vibration even up at 85. If it comes back I will take it to the shop and have them try to diagnose it. Ok, on to my next project. Thanks guys!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Axle/axle shafts cause vibration?