Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Noise upon acceleration

Old 05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Htro Mada
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise upon acceleration

I'm going to crawl under my van in a few minutes to check out a new noise that started yesterday. Thought I'd post it here in case somebody has any thoughts. Upon acceleration, I'm starting to get a low, throaty rumble from -- I think -- the exhaust of my 2001, 3.3L V-6 Dodge Caravan, 142,000 miles. It sounds like a blown muffler, or exhaust pipe. However, I only get the noise while in gear and it isn't constant. Additionally, the noise lasts for a fairly brief time. It seems to go away when the van is up to speed.

OK, that's all I know right now. Going to go check our paperwork to see if we've ever replaced the catalytic converter and then I'll take a look under the van. Any thoughts folks might have would be appreciated.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You maybe right. sound like the exhaust is hitting the K member. or a bad motor mount.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Htro Mada
Amateur
Default Rusted out muffler joint

Well, despite having put in a new muffler in 2008, my muffler is rusted out right where the exhaust pipe exits the muffler and heads toward my resonator and tailpipe. I suspect the salt put on our New England roads. Anyway, because of the failed joint, the tailpipe is actually resting on an arm for my tow hitch, which accounts for the rattle part of the noise. Rest of the exhaust system seems sound. Sigh. If I remember correctly, dealing with exhaust system
u-bolts is always an occasion for joy ... Off to the parts store.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM
papaduck
Professional

I am getting the same type of rumble around 20mph when pulling up a hill or excelerating. I have checked the exhast system and it is all sound and not rusted and the hangers are all good. Nothing is touching the exhast. It could be the inside of the muffler or cat. I am not going to worry about it unless I get a leak as it not to loud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise upon acceleration