2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Loud crunching noise, thud, and now neon wont move forward or backward... HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Reura
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud crunching noise, thud, and now neon wont move forward or backward... HELP?!

Okay, so... My Neon and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it, but it hates to behave properly. I've had so many problems since 100,000 miles (currently at 119,500) that I know I've put around $3,500 into it since March of 2010.

The last few weeks/months, I have heard creaking in my car when I go over bumps, or when there is more than just myself in the car. A couple of days ago, I heard a thud like sound when I applied the brakes going less than 5 miles per hour. It only happened once, so I paid no attention, figuring I must have hit something. About 30 minutes ago, I decided I'd run to Taco Bell for dinner, and I got to the end of my driveway, applied the brakes and heard an ungodly crunching noise, felt a huge THUNK, and my car sunk down about an inch. It refuses to go in reverse (tried to back up to get back to behind my house as my driveway belongs to neighbors as well, and there is no way around my car) and when I tried to pull forward, the crunching sound was there as well. I put my car in neutral and tried to push it either forward or backward, no go.

I got out and examined my brakes first, and they seem perfectly normal (just from visually inspecting), and looked in the engine, looks fine... When I went to look at the back of my car (by drivers side rear tire), I leaned on my tire and heard a cracking sound. Maybe not "cracking", but I can't exactly pinpoint a good word for it.

Thoughts: Suspension? Brakes? I'm f**ked?

Anyone have any similar problems?

Also, no codes on CEL.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Reura
Default Okay, update

So, now that it is light out, I decided to go outside to try to assess the situation even further.

Determined this: While engaging the brake last night at the end of my driveway, my rear drivers side tire locked up. There were skid marks behind that tire, and when I tried to move my vehicle just now, the tire did not move while the rest of the vehicle did. I also measured the space in between the wheel well and the wheel itself, and it is measuring about an inch lower than the other side.

This leads me to believe that while engaging the brake, something snapped (either in the drum itself or in my suspension) and it is keeping the brake engaged. I checked, double checked and triple checked the parking brake and it is not engaged.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

One of the many drawbacks to drum brakes, they can lock up. Or you may have a problem with the brakeline to that wheel.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Dethroc4
Amateur

I agree...it's most likely that the drum brake is seized up. The same thing happened to my '02 about a year and a half ago. I was literally going 10 mph approaching a stop light and my rear passenger tire locked up. I had to drag it home. Turns out the pad material on the brake shoes dislodged and a spring snapped as well. If you can handle the repair yourself, it's not too costly to fix.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Reura

So, got the diagnosis back from the repair shop. Apparently the hub assembly that holds the drum brake broke, which sheared the brake and damaged the drum (mechanic's wording). Total cost to repair (with tax): $653.

I'm just glad I have a job and can afford to pay for the repair. This brings the total amount of money I've put into this car in the last year to $4,700. I've had the entire head gasket and some other parts with the oil system replaced ($1,800), Computer replaced ($1,300) and now this. Upset, but, dealing with it. I have horrid credit and can not get a new vehicle unless I pay for it in cash, so, for now I'm fixing problems as they come up and then I will save as much money as possible to get a new vehicle. Probably not going to go with Dodge after this unless I can find a decent Caliber or Avenger for under $10,000. I've got my eye on a Mazda3.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:40 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a [used] car; stuff breaks or wears out. It will happen with any car. Preventative maintenance is the best way to help prevent (the whole concept behind it) major problems. Certain wear and tear items have to be replaced on any car. Other parts life will depend on how well they are taken care of. It is important to regularly go over your car and check things.

Looking at your location, most cars back East are going to have more problems than others as well because of the major rust issues.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Yeah you gotta make sure you catch these problems before the get worse. There are usually tell tale signs of wheel bearing failure.

Quick Reply: Loud crunching noise, thud, and now neon wont move forward or backward... HELP?!