Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 3.3L Grand Caravan hard starting

Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Midnight Wolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 3.3L Grand Caravan hard starting

Ok guys any help is greatly appreciated. I just bought a 2000 grand caravan sport. It has the 3.3L motor in it. After it sits for a long period of time, such as overnight, It cranks for several seconds before turning over and starting. It does start and stay running though. When it starts I can smell gas inside the van. I have been looking for days for an answer of where to start. Everything i have read points to the fuel pressure regulator. Question is where is the FPR located on this car? I looked along the front of the motor on the fuel rail and in the close proximity and cant seem to find the regulator. Thanks again for any help you can give.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump module. Remove the fuel pump module from the fuel tank to access the fuel pressure regulator. Refer to the Fuel Pump Module removal in this section
WARNING: FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED BEFORE SERVICING ANY FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENT. PERFORM THE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELEASE PROCEDURE.
REMOVAL
  1. Spread tangs on pressure regulator retainer Fuel Pressure Regulator
  2. Pry fuel pressure regulator out of housing.
  3. Ensure both upper and lower O-rings were removed with regulator.
INSTALLATION
  1. Lightly lubricate the O-rings with clean engine oil and place them into opening in pump module Fuel Pressure Regulator O-rings.
  2. Push regulator into opening in pump module.
  3. Fold tangs on regulator retainer over tabs on housing.
  4. Install Fuel Pump Module, refer to the Fuel Pump Module installation in this section.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Midnight Wolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanks for that helpful diagram and the help locating it. I will have to wait until i get lower on gas to do that though. Does it sound like I am on the right track in my diagnosis or is there something else i should try?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a leaking fuel injector? Look for a wet plug or heavy gas smell from a particular cylinder. Any evidense of a leak anywhere near the tank or fuel lines?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 3.3L Grand Caravan hard starting