Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Ignition Switch or???

Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM
mattyjmVanMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ignition Switch or???

Let me go back to the beginning....Last July I was on my way to work in my 2000 Ram Van,3500 1 ton with a fuel injected 360ci,5.9L V8,automatic transmission with overdrive,extended body cargo model with hinged side and rear doors,no power locks,no power windows...has A/C and ABS brakes,has airbags....when all of a sudden,while driving,a buzzer from inside my dashboard went on and stayed on for approximately 2 weeks,until I reached up under the dashboard and removed it.This black box has six connectors on the bottom and is part #SF8956001077.As of now,if i reinstall this part,it buzzes constantly while the key is in the ignition,whether the van is running or not.
About 4 months after this incident,my running lights,dashboard lights,and headlights began to flicker off while driving at night for around 35-40 minutes.If I push my headlight switch in,then pull back out,the lights will all stay on for another 35-40 minutes,flicker off,then come back on again after I push/pull the switch.Also,my interior overhead lamps will come on and stay on while i have the dashlights on.
Last week while coming home from work,my van suddenly started sputtering,misfiring,and generally running poorly until I pulled it over in a safe location and shut it off.It wouldn't start again,so I had it towed home.The following morning,it started up and ran for about 10 minutes with no sign of falter at all...just sat there and purred like a kitty.I shut the van off,restarted it several times with the same result...perfect idle and slight revving conditions.I didn't need to go anywhere that day,so the van sat there the rest of the day.The following day,I reached in to start it up,and got nothing.Starter's easily turning the motor over,but nothing firing and no fuel pump at start up.
My fuel pump works fine and van runs great when power is getting to and through my fuel pump relay.Sometimes when I reinstall that black buzzer box under the dash,it seems to "wake up" whatever's responsible for sending power to my fuel pump.But reinstalling doesn't ALWAYS help.Mainly what I'm noticing now is,with the key in the ON position,I can rattle or wobble the key back and forth a little and "wake up" whatever is sending power to my fuel pump.I'm guessing the problem is in my key cylinder,or my ignition switch,which I'm trying to replace as we speak.Do these symptoms sound like a computer problem,or is my ignition not letting the right voltage through.New battery,alternater is charging properly,gave it a tune up because it was due.Have fuel pressure in the rail when I can get power to my fuel pump.The 30 pin on my relay has power all the time,the 87 pin only gets power when i jiggle the key in the cylinder.ANY help would be greatly appreciated,and any help I can offer will be gladly given. THANKS to the experts who save me!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely faulty ignition switch.

Least likely in this case, but also probable is the BCM (Body Control Module, all so know as the body computer).

Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM
mattyjmVanMan
Default New Ignition switch

I just installed the new ignition switch,which,I feel was a good thing to do.I believe the old one was faulty,as it was hacked into by an aftermarket security system installer.My key buzzer now comes on and goes off when it should,but I'm still getting "no bus" in my odometer and no power to my fuel pump relay.I'm gonna research the cost of a new BCM.Any pointers on where to get a good one?And THANKS a million times for any guidance.Just that last reply by mobile repair has helped a ton,believe it or not.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:44 PM
mattyjmVanMan
Default Body computer???I'm lost

I've found the ECC(Engine Control Computer), but no BCM.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

On yours, after further research, shows the BCM is built into the PCM. Since you only got the "No Buss" after changing the switch I would look into the connectors for the switch and make sure all are good, clean, and tight.

Also if you changed it with the battery connected I would disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and then reconnect and see if it solves your problem.

Other wise the PCM may have gone bad.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
mattyjmVanMan
Default Got it running better than ever.

I'm glad that I went ahead and changed the ignition switch.That definetely took care of a couple issues,but the van didn't start 'til after I installed the new computer.$225,lifetime warranty.If anybody wants info as to where I got the module,I'll GLADY post it in a thread.Didn't want to mention seller here because I don't know the rules about how the Dodge forum likes or dislikes certain "advertisements",though I can honestly say the computer for my model was next to impossible to get.VERY limited availability nationwide.Dealer wanted $840,flashed and ready to go!!! I said NO WAY and hit the internet,Googled my part,and found an excellent store in Davie, FL.After new plugs,wires,rotor,cap,ignition switch,and computer module,my van is running better than ever.Thanks again for all the helpful advice from Dodge forum!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Though I don't need one right now I would be interested in where you found one that cheap and with lifetime warranty.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 PM
mattyjmVanMan
Default Auto Computer Exchange is AWESOME

When I started shopping online for a computer module,I started at ebay and got a few hits from this store-Auto Computer Exchange.com.Nothing against ebay,but i wound up NOT completing the auction,but rather I called them on the phone first to verify availability.The very nice employee,Diana,took my VIN,mileage,and part # right there on the phone,then I sent payment through Paypal to the address that she gave me.ACE shipped the next day via UPS and I received the computer 3 business days later.They include a return shipping label for your old module and begin your lifetime warranty as soon as they receive your old part.
I felt confident in purchasing from them because they have an actual store located in Davie,FL,and I remembered walking in and buying a module for a Ford Bronco II from them about 10 years ago,when I lived in FL.Here's some contact info from the invoice.
www.autocomputerexchange.com
5414Stirling Rd.
Davie,FL 33314
Phone(954) 983-4948 Fax (954) 963-9488
I would shop here again,and highly recommend this store to anyone in need of a great part at a great price with a nice warranty.Advanced,AutoZone,and Hovis Auto supply are the biggest suppliers around here,but had NO availability and were MUCH higher priced.
It comes factory flashed to your VIN number,so the whole exchange took less than 10 minutes and my van is running better than ever.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Humm interesting. When I looked up mine it shows only a year warranty and almost $500.00 for it.
http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/...VAN-81378.html

Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my 2001 Ram Van with the 5.2L/318cid Magnum, it's a mere $224. A nice price.
http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/...AN-109211.html

About their terms ...

How it works:
1. You pay us.
2. We ship your order with pre-paid return label.
3. You return your old computer.
4. Your 1 year warranty begins when we receive your old computer.

A year warranty is better than 30 or 90 days that I've seen elsewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Switch or???