Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Caravan brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:41 AM
harrymar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Caravan brake problems

My 2005 Caravan has a weird brake problem. Disc on front and drums on rear. Does not have ABS. 2 weeks ago while driving I applied the brakes and the pedal went almost to the floor before there was any breaking. Quite scary..This happened about 5 or 6 times before I got home. I checked everything and could find no leaks of any kind. The fluid container is also full. After pumping the pedal it seemed OK. Now, 2 weeks later it happened again while driving home. I did notice when this happened that if I pump the brake pedal immediately after I have good brakes again but not for long. The only work that has been done was the front rotors and pads were changed about 8 months ago.
Could it be air in the lines, or new fluid required...I don't know.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Harry

Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how old the master cylinder is? I know you said you saw no leaks. It seems if air were in the lines then you would see/feel your problem more often then you are, right?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would say master cylinder has failed,causing the pedal to feel like you have air in the system. It maybe time to replace the master cylinder.

Quick Reply: 2005 Caravan brake problems