Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best years for cummins?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best years for cummins?

I am just curious for different opinions on what model year had the least issues.. Is the 12 valve more bullet-proof than the 24 valves? 5.9 or 6.7?

Have heard the early 24 valves (98.5+) had issues with injection pumps and things..Is this common? Looking for a nice older truck for under say $10-12k that can be moderately modded and will tow well.

Last edited by rideordie; 05-31-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:17 AM
rideordie
Veteran

Nobody has any sort of input as to the different issues with the different model years?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot comment on specific issues for various years... however I was considering a similar issue less than a year ago.

I went with a pre-DPF 5.9 Common Rail engine. It had fewer miles on it than anything else I would consider. The truck it comes with is descent as well. Newer technology, more comfortable.

Every engine will have issues, every truck will have issues.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
I cannot comment on specific issues for various years... however I was considering a similar issue less than a year ago.

I went with a pre-DPF 5.9 Common Rail engine. It had fewer miles on it than anything else I would consider. The truck it comes with is descent as well. Newer technology, more comfortable.

Every engine will have issues, every truck will have issues.
I certainly agree with you that every vehicle will have issues at some point..But working at a parts store, I have to disagree in a sense - there are some vehicles that are just prone to some issues (either by design flaw or whatever else), like cavaliers and their muffler straps for example (although a rather small replacement).

Surely each of the generations have their own problems. But I'd rather have smaller/less expensive/easier common issues than the other way around. Just curious as to what kind of common issues they all had.

What year did they start enforcing DPF's strictly?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

2007.5 they pushed the DPF's into enforcement. That's when the 6.7's came into service as well.

I think what you'll find with the CTD, is that they are very reliable engines as most people here will attest to. HOWEVER, there is 1 abundantly apparent shortcoming to the truck...

1) The transmission
- The tranny in the 3rd Gens are a common complaint, however it seems to be a common complaint more to diesels, across brands, rather than a Dodge issue. It seems the 4th Gens are getting descent reviews on the new transmissions... This is all 3rd hand information, I only have a 3rd Gen Dodge. No experience with a 4th. On this note, people who have refrained from over-extending the performance of the 3rd Gens using programmers or the like, seem to be quite happy overall (as I am).

Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 PM
horatio102
Champion

Bone stock 48re is ok, lots of room for upgrades.
The 68rfe is a better trans out of the box, holds up to plenty of abuse (but not stupidity), but it comes coupled with a bunch of stupid emissions crap.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
(texas-ram)325HP
Veteran

i my self like the 98.5-2007 with the 5.9L.. But out of that like 03-07 5.9s the best but still like the 98.5-02s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best years for cummins?