2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 dakota fully charged battery won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
kphigh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dakota fully charged battery won't start

Hi,

I have a 2003 dodge dakota. Today when my wife had the truck it decided not to start. We were able to jump it and it started. When she got it home I cleaned off the terminals and replaced the battery connectors and tried to star it..no go.. I put a battery charger on it and after a few mins the charger read the batter was fully charged, but when I tried to start it nothing..no interior lights or dash board lights.

My thought is to replace the battery. I've had the truck since 2007 and have not replace the battery.. Does anyone have any other ideas on what the problem may be?

thanks
kevin

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like it could be a dead cell in the battery. Most parts stores will load test the battery for free. Take the battery in the store for a bench test - the hand held load testers they use in the parking lot don't really tell you much.

Dakota's are very funny about low voltage. You get even half a volt below 12.5 and they won't start, but they will jump start OK. While you are at the parts store maybe they can check your alternator output too.

I don't work for Autozone or anything but their Duralast Gold is the best battery I have ever used. They cost a little more but they are worth every penny. I put one in my truck last year and it has held up great here in the Florida heat.

Jimmy

Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

not saying this is your problem but i had the same thing happen. acted like something wasn't getting connected and or shorting out. i would take off the cable and reinstall and it would work till i shut it off. well i finally figured out the positive terminal on the battery was actually broken and when i would reinstall the cable and push down on it it would make the connection.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
kphigh

Thanks Jimmy.. I'll give that a try

Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM
98dakota98
Rookie

could also be the battery cable too. normally happens on vehicles much older but it's always possible to happen on newer vehicles. the cable doesn't carry enough voltage with only the battery but jumping it puts more voltage to it(your battery plus vehicle that's jumping it) and it carries enough to start. i've had it happen to a few of my cars before.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
kphigh

Thanks everyone for our help and advice. I took the battery to Advance Auto parts and they said it was fine, but the truck still did not start. I put in the little battery from my other car and it fired right up so I replaced the batter and all seems to be good.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 PM
98dakota98
Rookie

not saying your problem isn't solved, but it could be a short in the cable. i had a car that wouldn't start with a new battery and it was because the cable was broken inside the insulation right where it meets the battery terminal. it lost all power. a just barely touched the cable and everything came right back on. just something to keep in mind

Quick Reply: 2003 dakota fully charged battery won't start