2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes plenum plate or just new gaskets?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hughes plenum plate or just new gaskets?

My truck has over 217k on it, and I plan on only getting 1 more year (possibly 2) out of it. I am starting to think about just saving the money and going with the Dorman Gasket replacement kit and upgrading to a 180-degree thermostat, instead of putting in the new plate. This decision is purely based on saving some coin as I am trying to buy a house right now, and I don't plan on having this truck for 5+ more years.

Give me your thoughts.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
1&2genrams
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a guy on ebay selling a laser cut 1/4 plate for around $45, I just got mine in the mail from him...I have never seen the hughes one but this one looks top quality, and you will already be buying the gaskets anyway......in ebay punch in plenum plate or belly pan in the search tab...

Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
talthyren
Veteran

The Plenum issue is caused by the plate and housing being made of 2 different metals. Over time, the 2 metals expand and contract at different rates, and eventually the gasket pops and you get the plenum issue.

The Huges pan will completely eliminate the plenum issue, as its made of a different metal that wont mess up the gasket.

That bieng said, if your not planning on having the truck for a long while, just do the gasket. New gasket will last a few years at least. The kit is more of a perminant fix.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Mudshack
Veteran

Originally Posted by talthyren
The Plenum issue is caused by the plate and housing being made of 2 different metals. Over time, the 2 metals expand and contract at different rates, and eventually the gasket pops and you get the plenum issue.

The Huges pan will completely eliminate the plenum issue, as its made of a different metal that wont mess up the gasket.

That bieng said, if your not planning on having the truck for a long while, just do the gasket. New gasket will last a few years at least. The kit is more of a perminant fix.
This is exactly what I am thinking. I know that the Hughes pan is a great fix. But I won't get my money's worth out of it.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by talthyren

That is one theory, but then the same issue should happen of you put aluminum heads on a cast iron block. the expansion coefficients aren't that great on thin steel vs. cast aluminum.

The theory I generally believe to be true is that the tapped holes for the pan bolts were not drilled deep enough into the manifold and the pan bolts bottom out, not keeping the correct torque on the gasket. The hughes plate is 1/4" instead of the 1/16" steel pan, extending the bolt holes. I suspect that a few washers could just as easily solve the problem.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 PM
talthyren
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mudshack
This is exactly what I am thinking. I know that the Hughes pan is a great fix. But I won't get my money's worth out of it.
One other thing to consider is that if you try to sell the truck down the road and the gaskets blown again, that's instantly 500-1000 off your asking price if the buyer gets it inspected.

Spend $50 now on the kit, save $1000 later?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
CaseInternational
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1&2genrams
there is a guy on ebay selling a laser cut 1/4 plate for around $45, I just got mine in the mail from him...I have never seen the hughes one but this one looks top quality, and you will already be buying the gaskets anyway......in ebay punch in plenum plate or belly pan in the search tab...
I also went with this piece and it arrived in good condition and bought Fel-pro intake gasket set from my local parts house. I have not installed this yet but will once I get some more free time. This piece and Fel-pro gasket is still a lot less than the Hughs plate and looks to be equal in quality.

Jeff

Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

That guy is a member on this site. His name is like blk99dakrt or something like that. I've ordered 3 from him and never had a problem.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Mudshack
Veteran

That is good to know! Might go that route with the Dorman gasket kit ($43)

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just a fwiw- the cat is out of the bag on the plenum issue on these rigs.. most folks are going to ask that question.. some may even show up with a pen magnet to check for themselves.. even if they don't know, you can volunteer the job was done, and it was done right.. you'll get your worth out of the fix (no matter if you do the hughes or the other plate) fix.. just my thoughts..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hughes plenum plate or just new gaskets?