Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Torque Specs

Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torque Specs

I am doing a front wheel hub assy R&R and I need to find out what the axle bolt torque specs are. Help!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you drive again, can't remember.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

This is from a 2002. I'll post again when I get your year.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: Hub and bearing assembly mounting surfaces on the steering knuckle and stub axle (Mounting Surfaces (Typical)) must be smooth and completely free of foreign material or nicks prior to installing hub and bearing assembly.
CAUTION: When installing hub and bearing into steering knuckle, be careful not to damage the bearing seal (Mounting Surfaces (Typical)) on the outer C/V joint.
  1. Install hub and bearing onto stub axle and into steering knuckle until squarely seated on the face of the steering knuckle.
  2. Install the 4 hub and bearing mounting bolts from the rear of the knuckle. Equally tighten all 4 mounting bolts in a criss-cross pattern until hub/bearing assembly is squarely seated against front of steering knuckle. Tighten mounting bolts to a torque of 65 N·m (45 ft. lbs.)
  3. Install the brake rotor on the hub and bearing (Front Brake Mounting).
  4. Install brake caliper and adapter assembly back over brake rotor and align with mounting holes on steering knuckle (Front Brake Mounting). Install the mounting bolts and tighten to 169 N·m (125 ft. lbs.) torque.
  5. Install the hub nut on the end of the stub axle (Hub Nut). With aid of a helper applying the brakes to keep the front hub from turning, tighten the hub nut to Install the mounting bolts and tighten to 244 N·m (180 ft. lbs.) torque.
  6. Install wheel and tire assembly on vehicle. Tighten the wheel mounting stud nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).
  7. Lower vehicle to the ground.
  8. Check the front wheel alignment toe setting and reset if not within specifications. (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/WHEEL ALIGNMENT - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

this is for a 2000 model with a 3.0L

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: Hub and bearing assembly mounting surfaces on the steering knuckle and halfshaft Hub And Bearing Assembly Mounting Surfaces must be smooth and completely free of foreign material or nicks prior to installing hub and bearing assembly
CAUTION: When installing hub and bearing assembly into steering knuckle, be careful not to damage the bearing seal Hub And Bearing Assembly Mounting Surfaces on the outer C/V joint.
  1. Install hub/bearing assembly onto stub axle and into steering knuckle until squarely seated on the face of the steering knuckle.
  2. Install the 4 hub/bearing assembly to steering knuckle attaching bolts Hub/Bearing Assembly Mounting Bolts Equally tighten all 4 mounting bolts in a criss-cross pattern until hub/bearing assembly is squarely seated against front of steering knuckle. Then tighten the 4 hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts to a torque of 65 N·m (45 ft.lbs.)
  3. Install the hub/bearing assembly to stub shaft washer and retaining nut Hub/Bearing To Stub Axle Washer And Retaining Nut Tighten, but do not torque the hub nut at this time.
  4. Install the braking disk on the hub and bearing assembly.
  5. Install front brake caliper back over braking disc and align with caliper mounting holes on steering knuckle Brake Caliper Assembly Removal/Installation Caliper is installed by first installing bottom of caliper under machined abutment on bottom of steering knuckle and then rotating top of caliper toward steering knuckle. Install the disc brake caliper to steering knuckle attaching bolts Front Disc Brake Caliper Mounting Bolts and tighten to a torque of 19 N·m (168 in. lbs.)
  6. Install wheel and tire assembly on vehicle. Tighten the wheel mounting stud nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 129 N·m (95 ft. lbs.)
  7. Lower vehicle to the ground CAUTION: When tightening hub/bearing assembly to stub shaft retaining nut, do not exceed the maximum torque of 244 N·m (180 ft. lbs.)
  8. With vehicle brakes applied to keep vehicle from moving, torque stub shaft to hub/bearing assembly retaining nut to 244 N·m (180 ft. lbs.)
  9. Check the Toe setting on the vehicle and reset if not within specifications.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie

it's a 2000 dodge grand caravan with 14in wheels

Old 06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie

thanks for the info, but now i'm a little more nervous as this wll be the 1st time for me. i guess the shop i hired to do this 2 times before don't torque it down and they keep failing,sure it's under warreny but they charge me for labor to replace the bearing they don't install right. so i'll replace the bearing and take the bad one back to them and make them give me my money back

Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all bearings are the same quality. The 2000-2005 full size GM sedans are notorious for short life on the wheel bearings but those who have cheaped out at Autozone or the like regret it as they don't nearly as long as even the OEM bearings. If your mechanic got the bearings from a local parts house and they weren't OEM quality, that may explain what is going on.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie

Thanks for all the great information, I did the job this morning and it took me only 45 minutes for the 1st time ever doing that kind of work on my van

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Specs