Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Replace VCR with DVD Player Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van

Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Qbart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace VCR with DVD Player Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van

Hello,

I just bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van. It has a 13 inch color TV with VCR. The VCR doesn't work and I would like to replace it with a DVD player. I went to a custom conversion place and the guy told me it would be $350 to replace the VCR. I thought this was a little expensive.

The VCR has a 4 pin 12 volt connection (see pic). Does anyone know of a DVD player that either has a power connection like that or is there an adapter I can buy to convert it to a single type of connection?

Thanks for any and all help!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The old power connector is simple enough to cut off and then splice the new one onto the power wires.
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/DV-170.aspx

Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Qbart

Thanks for your quick response alloro! That seems simple enough for even me to do! Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the AudioVOX unit died eh?

That connector is extensively used in the computer industry for Intel motherboards. It's the power input for the CPU.

Yes, you can splice it or just simple replace it with something you really want. If you know what all four wires do, then you can fully take advantage of the extra functions.

Zip on over to NewEgg for 12VDC automotive DVD players.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...er&Order=PRICE

Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Qbart
Default UPDATE Replace VCR with DVD Player Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van

Ok, so I bought the Valor DV-170 DVD player and tried to install it. When I went to splice the power wires that were connected to the VCR I noticed that even though it was a four pin connection only two of the pins were being used. The DVD player came with a two pin connector (see pic)

So I thought this was going to be easy. I disconnected the Van's battery and spliced together the wires the way I thought they should be. After I connected the Van's battery I must have blown a fuse or something because none of the overhead lights or any of the overhead switches would come on. (see pic)

There are 3 fuse boxes, I have no idea what fuse might be blown? I don't think it has anything to do with the fuse box in the passenger area in the back. (see pic) All the fuses look good and if one was blown I would think that the other switches would still work. The back couch bed still goes up and down but nothing else in the back works and thats because everything else is connected to one of the overhead switches.

There is also a fuse box just inside the drivers side door on the side of the dashboard. (see pic) I didn't check each fuse in here to see if any looked blown.

Then there is a third fuse box located in the engine compartment. Looking at these fuses none looked like they were blown.

Needless to say I'm lost! I'll probably have to take the van in to somebody who knows what they are doing! Unless someone knows which fuse is connected to the overhead switches.

Thanks again for any and all help.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ram Van comes from the factory with fuse boxes/panels located 1.) next to the battery or very near it in the engine bay. 2.) The left side of the front dash.

The third access panel you have is from the conversion company.

If none of the fuses are blown, you tested each with a hand volt meter and still have no power, then one of the follow is an issue, ... 1.) A fuseable link has taken the overvolted energy and burned up, 2.) A wire in the harness has fried. 3.) an electrical su-component that relates to managing power to those devices has shorted.

The fuseable links are down behind the battery on most of our Ram Vans. If you do a search in this threaded forum, there are diagrams and repair tips others have shared over the past months and years.

Did you use a volt meter ahead of time before installing the new DVD player????

Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Is there any chance there was another wire connected to the battery that might've fallen unnoticed when you disconnected it?

Also, check the ILLUM fuse in the one by the driver's door.

Last edited by alloro; 06-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by stev
The fusible links are down behind the battery on most of our Ram Vans.
Don't confuse the lad any more than he already is, he has the power box under the hood, so there are no fusible links.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 PM
motorhomer

i had the same trouble,it is a fuse in the fuse box under the hood.i over looked the blown fuse. it is on the end towards the front. a large fuse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace VCR with DVD Player Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van