2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove transmission

Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 AM
umbali
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove transmission

I looked but couldnt find a step by step guide on how to remove the tranny from my 95 ram.

Is this an overwhelming job for someone whos not overly mechanically inclined? Any special tools needed?

I can save 400 or 500 bucks by pulling it myself to get it rebuilt, and i have a friend who can help put it back in. Kinda wanted to see how much I can do myself?

Any good guides out there?

Thanks

btw...what an adventure this has been. Ive talked to so many shops, some of which knew nothing about this transmission, and insisted the 46 RE could go in instead of the 46rh which i have.

Finally found a guy who pretty much echoed everything I have read here...so i went to his shop, and he wasnt there and it was a dump..and several shops in the area told me he is no good lol.

So going with the more expensive shop now that offers 2 year warranty and has been in business for 40 years.

/sigh

Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Need to support the trans on a pretty serious jack. Floor jack, with four wheels is best. (and it still won't be the most stable platform. If you could rent a transmission jack, that would be ideal. Make sure you have something between the jack, and the trans pan though, poking holes in it would be messy.....)

Disconnect both driveshafts from the t-case.

Disconnect all linkages/electrical harnesses.

I don't remember if the mount is under the trans, or the t-case, but, dropping the t-case first makes things lighter. The T-case IS heavy, so, having a friend to help would be golden. If no friend to help, use another jack.

Remove the crossmember. It believe the ends are tapered, so, figger out which way it needs to go to come out easy, and remove it.

Remove starter motor. (disconnect the battery FIRST.)

There are four bolts that hold the torque converter to the drive plate. These can be fun..... I use a large screwdriver in the starter ring gear teeth to hold it in place, while I break loose the bolts. There is a cool tool just for such a purpose... but, if you don't plan on doing this regularly, the expense isn't really worth it.

There are six bolts that hold the trans to the engine...... these can be fun to get to. A long extension, and a universal make life easier.

Once everything is unbolted/disconnected, etc. You will have to move the trans back 3 to 4 inches, so it will clear everything, then just lower it straight down.

The procedure is also outlined in the Factory Service manual, that can be found in this thread.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
umbali
Amateur

Thanks..Ive decided to let someone else do this lmao

Did download the service manual though and that should come in handy

This forum rocks

Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
ralph078

i can not seem to find the service manual for a 95 ram 2500 5.9 gas. I am needing some step by step instructions on how to remove the transmission so that i can pull it and take it somewhere to be rebuilt.
if any one can please help me i would appreciate it. please email me at rc_0078@yahoo.com if you know where i can get a free service manual at or if you know where i can download one from or where i can atleast read one for free.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

There are threads right here where you can download the service manuals.....

Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
40intrepid
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may also have to remove the oil filter and remove a bolt behind that.
Not sure if it is in the Magnum motors, but the LA family 318's and 360's had them.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 40intrepid
You may also have to remove the oil filter and remove a bolt behind that.
Not sure if it is in the Magnum motors, but the LA family 318's and 360's had them.

Yes, it is. Oil filter has to come off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove transmission