3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2003 dodge ram hemi engine running problems

Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
kc2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dodge ram hemi engine running problems

today when i started my 2003 dodge ram 5.7 hemi it start fine and run like normally for 30mins then when i was driving down the highway the Engine started to tremble during driving & loss of acceleration power....if i press the gas peddle straight down the engine strugles & pulls off but with the force it trembles alot...like it's straining to move and the engine light flicked on for a couple of seconds then went out, when the truck was put into 2nd gear it seamed to run better, on my way home it got worse and now when i start the truck you have to give it some gas and it will not stay running, so i stop of at the dealership they said they think its the injectors. i am not sure if it is that because i have never had this problem before with the truck i think its kinda of rare for all the injectors to go at once. also at idle in neautal you have to hold the rpm to around 3000 it will not run at anythink less.
P.S. could this be a valve spring

Last edited by kc2002; 12-04-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would start out simple by changing your fuel filter. Does the 03 hemi have plug wires? i would check them as well. Not idling sounds like a vacuum line. No DTC codes?

One time I poured some potent fuel injector cleaner in my car. It had 1/3 tank of gas. I poured the entire bottle in and I let the car idle for about an hour to get the car all cleaned off from snow/ice and it was -10* if I remember correctly. The whole way home that car stimbled, bucked and idled really rough. i had to romp on it for a few days until it cleared out. i can only think that maybe the injector cleaner removed gunk and clogged the injectors.
If your injectors were bad, your truck wouldn't run! You can check the resistance with a volt meter. They should all be within reason from one another.
You can go down to local oil lube place as they offer fuel injector services that do a really good job in about 45minutes for $100 or so.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have the same problem with my older f150.. The high pressure pump was on the fritze. Id say a pump or else clogged filter

Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM
jmninc113

I just had the same problem a few weeks ago. Your description sounds identical to mine same year, same engine almost the exact same run time before the problem started. What was the problem? They have replaced 1 injector,plugs, wires, converter and cam sensor but it still isn't running. I need some help!! I think this problem is over my mechanics head and I'm going broke throwing parts into this thing.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by jmninc113
I just had the same problem a few weeks ago. Your description sounds identical to mine same year, same engine almost the exact same run time before the problem started. What was the problem? They have replaced 1 injector,plugs, wires, converter and cam sensor but it still isn't running. I need some help!! I think this problem is over my mechanics head and I'm going broke throwing parts into this thing.
I have an 03 and haven't had this problem. But it sounds like a single failure has caused the problem. Are you getting any codes? If it is making any noise I would check the valve springs. Check the plugs to see if you can read anything from them. Good luck...

Old 07-20-2010, 12:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Some guys who have had those issues also say they had some exploded spark plugs too

Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
jmninc113

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
I have an 03 and haven't had this problem. But it sounds like a single failure has caused the problem. Are you getting any codes? If it is making any noise I would check the valve springs. Check the plugs to see if you can read anything from them. Good luck...
Plugs were black. Getting 3 codes P0344, P2108, P2106 where can I find out what they mean. I'm new to this site today so some direction would be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Yep, '03s have plug wires. A TB cleaning should help. Seafoam treatment may be in order as well. Not likely to be the fuel filter (hopefully), but if you're in the habit of running it down to very low fuel, it could be. Hope not, 'cause they're a b!tch to get to. If it has more than 60K on the plugs, it's time to swap 'em.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You can also google those codes and find some more info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 dodge ram hemi engine running problems