2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Upper dash removal help

Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper dash removal help

Hey guys, I'm replacing the dash in my '99, but I'm having trouble removing the old one. Just a couple questions...

1. There are 4 screws still holding it in. 2 on the drivers side, and 2 on the passenger side. They're on the side of the dash and wedged right up against the cab. I can barely see them, much less get a wrench/screwdriver to them. How in the world am I supposed to get at them?

2. I was told that the steering colomn has to be dropped. If I just remove the two nuts on the underside of the column nearest the steering wheel, will it just drop down? Or is there more to it?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no experience on the screws, but would a 90* screwdriver or bit in a socket help?

yes, remove the 2 screws and the column will drop down onto the seat.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM
XTREMEHUMPDOG

I used a ratchet wrench with a ton of extensions.

Remove the two bolts on the bottom of the steering column support bar. It will slide down and out a little and rest it on the seat.

You have the bolts against the window and then two bolts (one on each side) under the dash and near the kick panels. Two people would make it alot easier trust me..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks guys. I think my problem is that I'm trying to separate the whole assembly from the metal frame. I guess that's not how you're supposed to do it. I'll give it another shot today.

I got my new dash from LMC truck yesterday, but when I opened the box, the dash was all scraped up like somebody had taken a rasp to it. I called LMC and they're sending me a new one so I can't complain too much, but I really wanted this done by the weekend.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 AM
XTREMEHUMPDOG

I learned the hard way. I had the usual dash cracks and thought that removing the bolts at the window would release the dask top as I was thinking about fiberglassing and painting it. Come to find out after I literally ripped the dash apart piece by piece that ther were screws holding it on that you normally wouldn't see unless you removed the dash from the firewall. Hope LMC makes it right and would love to see pics when done.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
chadwall
Professional

So are you replacing the entire dash or just the top pad piece? I seen 2 options on their site for the pad, a $70 diffrence. What's the diff and which are you doing? Says they ain't crack for a short period if time...how long is that?

Thanks, I'm trying to decide best route to fix mine. I hate the carpet cover.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,923 Posts

I think one is just a cover. Goes overtop of the current dash top, does not require removal of the dash. Other one would be a replacement part. Physically remove the dash, take off the old one, put on the new one, reinstall the dash. More work, but, in my opinion, better end result.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please post pictures of the LMC dash BEFORE it's installed. Top and bottom if you please. I want to see what one of these looks like.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
chadwall
Professional

Think the reinforcements they have would be good to use also? Is rather spend the extra and get the replacement rather than just glue one over.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
krs7272
Rookie

IIRC there are 4-6 screws that enter from the backside of the dash towards the driver. As for the ones against the a-piller I use a super flat wrench. Got a set from sears for a few bucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upper dash removal help