4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lug nut and stud stripped

Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Ironhead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug nut and stud stripped

Went to rotate my tires and found one of the lug nuts stripped. Then I noticed that the stud is also messed up. Last one to pull this tire was the dealer in November for my inspection. I have an appointment for tomorrow. I did tell the service guy that they were the last ones to pull the tire. What are the chances that the dealer will cover this?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
The Craig Machine
Rookie

They will probably tell you that you did it. But if you insist that it was them, they will probably fix it. These kinds of things are the reason I get all my oil changes and stuff done at the dealership. If you keep them happy then it will pay off in the long run. You can always threaten to go buy a Ford....but that usually doesn't go over very well. If the service guys give you trouble, the best thing to do is go talk to your sales guy about it. They can usually persuade the service guys to treat you with the respect that you expect to get when spending huge money on new vehicles.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm not as honest, but I would stuck the lug nut back on and made an appointment to have the tires rotated. Let them deal with it, and let them know they were the last ones to rotate 'em.

When I was a young buck I'd do my own rotations and oil changes. Now days i could care less about the tires and oil. Let someone else get all dirty for $70.00 or so.....Plus it keeps me in warranty compliance.
Plugs are next on my hit list and I sure as hell don't wanna do those either. man I'm getting old and lazy....

Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Do it that way they'll give you a estimate to repair. Otherwise they can look at service history and ask if you had a flat repair somewhere etc. They'll probably take care of it.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Ironhead
Professional

Just got back from the dealer. They said there was a burr on the top of stud which they repaired and replaced the lug nut. They charged me $20 for labor and $8 for the nut. The burr they refurred to was on top of the stud (looked like someone hit it with a hammer) preventing the nut to go on straight. This had to be done at the dealer because I always have a hubcap on. But I just paid the $30 since it wasn't that much and didn't think it was worth arguing about.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
72combo
Champion

I had to call and rag out a tire shop that put my winter rims on, they had the torque over 200 ft lbs, I am worried about stripped studs in the future, when I call they said my wrench needs calibration, I asked for proof of theirs and funny thing is it was in getting done. They lost 3 cars plus whoever else I can get not to buy tires there in my city.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

In the past I have had Isuzu Rodeos and Troopers come in the shop/service drive with owners panicking and a weird darting,driving strange. ALL the wheels were falling off. Lugs were missing. New tires! I had more then a few come in with wheels falling off. Over torqued studs and they fractured, stressed and broke off. Talk about ashen faced Dads ,Moms with kids.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 PM
72combo
Champion

Your more respectable garages would use the impact just to help speed things up not tighten to torque or MORE. Our trucks are 135 to 150 ft lbs correct? For 20 inch chrome clads, I am not sure about the steelies I put on for winter I guess same torque.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lug nut and stud stripped