Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 Ram 2500 no start has fuel and spark. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM
coryhubbard396
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 2500 no start has fuel and spark. HELP

Have a 2001 ram van 318. Got in it one day and would just turn over. Checked for spark was week pulled plug and they were the worst iv seen.
Replaced plugs, wire, cap, rotor, Coil and coil ground strap. Got good spark can put screw driver and get a 1 inch jump. Tested fuel pressure and its a 45 psi. though maybe injectors wre not firing so sprayed some eather down throtle body tured over and nothing. Does not hickup, back fire, nothing just sounds like the motor is cranking over. I just dont see how it does nothing with spark and eather. Checked for codes and found none. Van ran fine before. help help help

Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question, how many miles is on the odometer?

My van is very much like yours. 2001 B2500 5.2L/318cid. At 108,000 miles the exhaust pipe to the manifold came apart. Thinking it was just because of rust, I had the exhaust system totally replaced. Came to find out, the CAT got clogged and the weakest part of the exhaust system blew apart. If the exhaust would not have blown through, the engine may not have started for me.

The van had no codes and this was after a good tune up.

Gave you check the Power Distribution Center? The generator and battery cable terminals in the PDC must be inspected and repositioned if necessary. If electrical arcing at the generator cable connection has occurred, the PDC stud, nut and buss bar may need to be replaced.

Also, here are a few other known things that can be a no start and no codes shown.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/Sa_00-01.htm

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/08-01-00.htm

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/08-24-00.htm

Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the starter motor is working and you have fuel pressure and spark I would do a compression test to verify that the timing chain has not jumped. If you have compression then check/replace the pick up coil in the distributor for that is the unit that signals the PCM as to where/when to fire the fuel injectors. The crank sensor only signals for the spark which you do have.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 AM
dave f

hi guys, i have a 1997 ram 2500 5.9.i have spark,fuel pulse 50psi fuel pressure.crank,cam sensors have been replaced catalitic converter is not plugged,timing chain is in time any ideas? thanks DF.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave f
hi guys, i have a 1997 ram 2500 5.9.i have spark,fuel pulse 50psi fuel pressure.crank,cam sensors have been replaced catalitic converter is not plugged,timing chain is in time any ideas? thanks DF.
So you have spark, fuel pressure, and fuel injectors are pulsing? If the engine is not running then most likely the cam pick up coil is not timed correctly to the motor. If you have tried turning the distributor to change the timing you have made a mistake and messed up the injector timing. There is a notch on the distributor plate that needs to line up where the Number 1 Plug will fire at. When the rotor bug matches that spot and the cap shows that reattaching it will the number 1 plug wire over that spot then you have aligned the pick up coil correctly. Also double check the spark plug wire routing.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Will the engine start, even briefly, if you spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle body then immediately try cranking?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 AM
baconater

Relpace the PCM,tap it with a hammer,should hear fuel pump and pump relay kick on,will start then,may die but will start.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:23 PM
reaperpest
Default 2001 ram 5.9 has spark and fuel wont start

if anyone has had this problem I feel for you it took 20 hours to figure it out. I had a hard start a few days ago and it was running funny went to start next day and nothing I thought i had a crack in distributor so i changed that and nothing . It was not throwing any codes so after changing timing chain and gear, plugs and wires and rotor we timed it three times and it still wouldnt go .we pulled plugs heated them put torch to cylinder all blew up there was gas just sitting in there .we think it was injector stuck open and dumping fuel we put plugs back in a boom fired right up so I am posting this to help anyone who is going through this because I could not find any answer on here they all were saying camshaft sensor or cam position sensor or coil and it was none of these things

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 2500 no start has fuel and spark. HELP