2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel pump not priming/fuel system problems.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
mackiereese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump not priming/fuel system problems.

Hello everyone, my name is moe. I am new to dodge forum. 1 week ago I purchasded used 99 dodge ram 1500 5.2 litre , with 127000 miles on it . It seemed like it was a solid truck except needing an ac compressor. Before closing the deal I test drove truck, went about 80 miles. The truck seemed very strong and solid, everything seemed to work except ac. I closed the deal. On the way home stopped to get lunch, came out of store and truck would not start. It was turnig over really well but seemed like no gas was getting to the injectors. I told my wife to just turn the key forward without starting to see if I could hear fuel pump priming.Could not hear it, Nothing! Checked all fuses and relays pertaining to fuel pump every thing was good. I had to leave it at the store. Came back 2 hours later it started right up I heard the fuel pump prime before it started. I let it idle about 10 mins, went to put in reverse it died, tried to resart no fuel pump priming. I let it sit for about 45mins and it started right up got out of truck to close the bed door and it died again, so I had to leave at the store again. Came back about 4 hours later tried to start, nothing! Went across the street to have dinner, came back an 1 hr later it started right up. FInally got it home pulled into garage and turned it off and tried to start back nothing, could not hear fuel pump priming. It seemed like the pump was not being energized. Called a few places and described my problem everyone was saying that i needed a fuel pump one person said that i needed the pressure regulator. another said fuel filter. Unfortunately all those components are in the gas tank and all one unit. So after going through these same symptoms another day I bought a new fuel pump, I installed it with the help of my nephew we got it done in about 3 hours. bolted bed back down. It started right up I could hear the fuel pump priming before it fired up. Test drove it running great, went to the grocery store for few things came out, the dam thing would not start. Very frustrating after dropping 220 bucks on new fuel pump and the time and effort of putting it in. I left the dam thing at store again, came back to it 4 hrs later it started right up got it home about 3 in the morning. Have any one ever experienced this problem before or know what it could be, 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.2. I would really appreciate any suggestions. I am new to this site, this is my first truck ever and i chose dodge, i would like to say that I am proud owner of a dodge ram. HELP!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site,
FF

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
mackiereese

Do ou know of anyone who can give me suggestions on fixin this fuel problem?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved to the second generation Ram section,
FF

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

I would start suspecting the crank sensor getting hot, and crapping out. If the PCM doesn't see that the engine is turning, it won't kick on the fuel pump. If you turn the ignition all the way off, wait a few seconds, then turn the key to On again, the pump should prime..... if it isn't, swap the horn relay, and the fuel pump relay. See if that doesn't help.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM
mackiereese

Thanks hey you. I've tried switching the relays still no go. At this moment it will start but if i drive it for awhile and turn it off it won't start, where is the crank sensor located and how do you check it. I am not a seasoned mechanic, need help.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

It hides on the passenger side of the bellhousing. Reads off the flex-plate. Cleverly concealed behind a fair few rather warm objects. No clue which direction is easiest to get to it from.... (not to mention even be able to see it.....) Best bet is, when it is HOT, and the trucks is acting up, check resistance (need a meter...) of the sensor. If it is zero, or extremely high, probably toast. If it turns out you need on, get one from the dealer. Yeah, they are significantly more expensive, but, these trucks just do NOT like aftermarket sensors in critical areas.

You can download the 2001 service manual from the FAQ section here. It will be close enough, and will show you where the crank sensor is, if you have a hard time finding it.

Oh, and: Welcome to DF!

Old 10-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Heinz Edgar Rose
Default Similar probs

First: RockAuto.com, saved me a ton.
Second: now that I have my new fuel pump installed, im still having an issue at the relay. Made a jumper and the pump is running...but still not turning over. When I turn the key it sounds like its bearing down, so Im waiting it out for a min.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel pump not priming/fuel system problems.