3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New 3rd gen owner here...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Tbone79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 3rd gen owner here...

Hey all, I just upgraded from a '98 QCSB 360 to a '08 CCSB Hemi. So far I'm really liking the truck but it does leave some room for improvement.

Thinking about a superchips 3865, magnaflow muffler no resonators, and a cold air intake. Am I on the right track here guys? Not looking to go too radical just looking for a little bit more mileage, power, and sound. The truck acts mostly as a car during the summer/fall, and does some towing during the winter pulling my 2 place snowmobile trailer with sleds.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
xjfever
Professional

Congrats on the purchase. I purchased mine a couple of months ago and right now I am ordering pretty much the same parts as you. I just ordered the magnaflow muffler and Y-pipe and have the CAI on the way. The tuner will come soon. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I wouldn't get my hopes up on noticeably improving mileage with those mods. If you want to install something you will notice at the pump, install an e-fan.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
ram_bo06
Captain

pics of the updated truck?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I wouldn't get my hopes up on noticeably improving mileage with those mods. If you want to install something you will notice at the pump, install an e-fan.
Brandon, does an e-fan really do that much, and do you have one on yours. If so was it an easy install and what did it cost? Thank you in advance for any info.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbone79
Hey all, I just upgraded from a '98 QCSB 360 to a '08 CCSB Hemi. So far I'm really liking the truck but it does leave some room for improvement.

Thinking about a superchips 3865, magnaflow muffler no resonators, and a cold air intake. Am I on the right track here guys? Not looking to go too radical just looking for a little bit more mileage, power, and sound. The truck acts mostly as a car during the summer/fall, and does some towing during the winter pulling my 2 place snowmobile trailer with sleds.

Yeah a tuner, cat-back and CAI are the normal basic first mods almost everyone starts with. Some finish with just those as well.

Originally Posted by Arctodus
Brandon, does an e-fan really do that much, and do you have one on yours. If so was it an easy install and what did it cost? Thank you in advance for any info.
An e-fan is a pretty good mod as far as what you get out of it for the cost. Even the more expensive, kit type fans are under $300 and can free up as much as 18 RWHP and give a solid 1-2 mpg increase. It's really the only modification I've found that pays itself back in saved gas without having to wait 100k miles for it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Hammer do you have a link to a good fan that would be easy to wire up?
I really want to do this mod.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Arctodus
I'll put it this way:
IF (
cost of device $300
&&
you go from 15mpg to 17mpg
&&
you drive 1000 miles per month
&&
gas costs $3.80/gal
) THEN =
You would save $30 a month in gas, thus recovering your money in 10 months, and that's just one scenario. Let's say you go from 12mpg to 14mpg, or you drive 1500 miles a month, then you would be saving $45 a month. Also, using the Taurus fan mod, you would recover your money even faster, as you would only be spending about $150 for the parts. The big caveat here is for people that only drive highway. The e-fan is only going to save you gas around town. Cruising 70 down the interstate, you shouldn't notice any difference.

Now let's calculate for the I/E/P: (assuming DIY CAI)
IF (
cost of parts and install $750
&&
you go from 15mpg to 16mpg
&&
you drive 1000 miles per month
&&
gas costs $3.80/gal
) THEN =
You would save $16 a month on gas, thus recovering your money in 47 months. This is a VERY liberal scenario, assuming you can get a cat-back system, DIY CAI and programmer for $750. This is also assuming you even see a 1mpg increase after the mods. I have all three, and if anything, my mileage has gone down, not up. The engine can now push and pull air faster, thus making more power, but at the cost of requiring more fuel.

I hope this puts things in perspective for people trying to install the Intake/Exhaust/Programmer in order to save money at the pump. These are mods meant to produce power, not increase your mpg. Also, I have not installed the e-fan yet, but it's next on the list.

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 08-03-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
Hammer do you have a link to a good fan that would be easy to wire up?
I really want to do this mod.
Yeah, I bought the Flex-a-Lite 180 Extreme from Moe's in like '06, I wanna say it was $269 at the time with free shipping. They are available ALL over the place, very popular kit, don't need a thing extra for the install...

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah, I bought the Flex-a-Lite 180 Extreme from Moe's in like '06, I wanna say it was $269 at the time with free shipping. They are available ALL over the place, very popular kit, don't need a thing extra for the install...
I've been looking at Moe's as well. Chose them over the Taurus mod mainly because I'd rather pay a little more to get a new fan. Who knows when a junkyard fan will crap out on you, and then you're left without cooling on an engine prone to warping heads when things get too hot (with my 4.7 anyway).

Here's a link for the fan: linky
As of right now it's still $269 when you add it to the cart.

Last edited by Brandon Anderson; 08-04-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: New 3rd gen owner here...