Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Where is "cylinder block drain plug(s)" for coolant?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM
zggane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is "cylinder block drain plug(s)" for coolant?

I recently bought a Caravan Se 05 @10.7K miles. I would like to do a coolant flush on it as I suspect that previous owner did not do it at 60K or 100K and coolant level looks low. I checked the service manual, it said to the draining procedure as such (7-4):

(1) Without removing radiator pressure cap and with system not under pressure, using a screwdriver, open the draincock. The draincock is located on the lower left side of radiator.
(2) After the coolant recovery/reserve container is empty, then remove coolant pressure cap (Fig. 5).
(3) Remove the cylinder block drain plug(s).

I can not find a figure for "cylinder block drain plugs". Does any one know where it is? It will be nice if there is a picture or you can point me to the proper page of the service manual.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Thats because the drain plugs are threaded into the sides of the block. It may take either a 1/2 or 9/16 socket.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
zggane

Thank you very much. I am very new to DIY. Where is exactly the "block"? Is it easily accessible as radiator drain plug? Do I need to jack up the car to get it? Thanks.

BTW: My mechanic told me instead of the special mopar one from dealer, I can just use any coolant with "dex-cool" (like Prestone Dex-cool extend life http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=87934_0_0_). I checked their description, it seems include (MS9769) . Price seems quite differ ($7/gal Prestone @Walmart vs $21/gal Mopar @dealer) What would you recommend?

Last edited by zggane; 08-05-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zggane
Thank you very much. I am very new to DIY. Where is exactly the "block"? Is it easily accessible as radiator drain plug? Do I need to jack up the car to get it? Thanks.

BTW: My mechanic told me instead of the special mopar one from dealer, I can just use any coolant with "dex-cool" (like Prestone Dex-cool extend life http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=87934_0_0_). I checked their description, it seems include (MS9769) . Price seems quite differ ($7/gal Prestone @Walmart vs $21/gal Mopar @dealer) What would you recommend?

I wouldn't worry about removing the plugs, I didn't on my 06, I just drained refilled, drove for a week, then drained and refilled again

for coolant

Do not use Dex Cool

here is a chart
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf

either use dealer or I used
Zerex G-05® Antifreeze(HOAT) which are vans call for, sold from Napa for about 16$ for conctrate so once you add distilled water it comes down to 8$ per gallon
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br.../antifreeze/42

Last edited by trophyslayer; 08-05-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 AM
zggane

Thank you very much. Do you need to jack the car up to reach the radiator drain plug? I tried to look for it and did not found it. Is it only reachable unless lifting it up a little? I don't have a stand. If that is the case, I need to hold the project up a little then.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran

it is easier to see if you jack it up, but it is reachable with out, if you turn you wheels all the way to the left(so the front part of the drivers wheel is turned out ) you can lay on your back and you will see the transmission lines running to the radiatior, the drain petcock is inbetween them, it has a red cap that a large flat head screwdriver fits, the tube that drains I think my 3/8inside diameter tubing fit, then I was able to run it into a flat tub

if you jack the car up, you run a tube right into a gallon jug, you will need 2 jugs since you will get almost 2 gallons out, it will take an hour or more to drain

Important, don't take the radiator cap off untill the reservoir bottle is emptie or just about emptie, other wise it might not emptie

I have use the petcock 4x with out a problem, but I do know that sometimes the oring will start to leak after it is moved and you might have to drain the coolant again and replace the oring, that is why others prefer to just pull the lower radiator hose and drian it that way

Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
zggane

Well. I got the Zerex G-05® and distilled water ready. But embarrassingly, I cannot get the drain plug. Here a two pictures.

Is the red one by arrow the drain plug? I can see it from the above and below. But it is very tight. I did not jack the car up. The space from below is tight, should I get to it from below with a screw driver? It seems very wide and does not work well with a flat screw driver.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

that is the drain plug, and I got it from the bottom, with a very Large/fat flat head screwdriver,

Old 08-10-2011, 04:28 PM
zggane

Thank you very much. I found a big screwdriver with 3/8" blade. But it is too long to fit in the space in the car. I will ask a mechanic friend to help later.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

did you try it from the bottom? van jacked up?

sorry it didn't work,

thinking out side the box, maybe you could fit the one side/point of an open ended wrench

or maybe if you have a small rubber strap wrench might fit too

Or it might just be easy to remove the 3or4 plastic tabs that hold the splash shield on the passenger side and then pull off the lower radiator hose at this point

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is "cylinder block drain plug(s)" for coolant?