Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 stratus rear strut/shock question

Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 PM
donnyb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 stratus rear strut/shock question

how much of of old parts do i need to use when i replace the shocks on the rear? am i to use the metal dust cover again? i have the shocks back on and one of the washers is bouncing.....seems like i need to add something....when i replaced the strut mount the kit had 2 bushings so i used the old lower isolator, "the one that looks like a kong ball" and that is all. Also when tightening the shock down through the trunk when do you stop tightening the nut?! seems like i could pull the whole shock up through if i kept going!!!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 PM
BillS
Captain

this is basic info on how to reassemble some parts might not be on your vehichle if you need more info send me your email and i can send you more with pictures (pictures don't work right here keep changing everytime i try and post on here)
  1. If the coil spring has been removed from the compressor, place the lower end (smaller diameter) of the coil spring in the spring compressor supported by the lower hooks at the same position as in disassembly, following the manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Position the upper hooks of the spring compressor on the coil spring near the top as in disassembly.
  3. Compress the coil spring enough to reinstall the shock absorber and upper mount.
  4. Install the lower shock rod isolator bushing in the bottom of the upper shock mount. The smaller end is to be pointed away from the mount when installed.
  5. Install the upper shock rod isolator bushing and sleeve in the upper shock mount until seated into lower bushing. The smaller end of the bushing is to be pointed away from the mount when installed.
  6. Install the lower coil spring isolator on the lower spring seat of the shock absorber install jounce bumper as shown on the rod of the shock absorber
    1. Install the collar on the rod of the shock absorber assembly with the undercut side of sleeve facing down . Push the collar down until seated on the step of the shock absorber rod.
    2. Install the shock through the bottom of the coil spring until the lower spring seat contacts the lower end of the coil spring. Install the clamp temporarily securing the shock absorber to the coil spring.
    3. Install dust shield and cup over the jounce bumper and onto the rod of the shock absorber.
    4. Install the lower shock rod bushing retainer washer on the shock absorber rod.
    5. Install the upper spring isolator on the top of the coil spring. The bottom of the isolator is contoured to fit around the inside diameter of the coil spring and has a step built into it that the end of the coil spring must fit into upon installation.
    6. Install the upper shock mount bracket and rod isolator bushings as an assembly on the top of the rod of the shock absorber.
    7. Install the upper shock rod bushing retainer washer. Make sure the concave side is facing up.
    8. Install the shock assembly retainer nut. Hold the shock rod from rotating using special socket Snap-On A 136, or equivalent, and tighten the retainer nut using a crow foot wrench (on the end of a torque wrench and extension) to a torque of 55 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) (Fig. 16).
    9. Position the upper shock mount so it's studs are in line with the bolt hole in the shock absorber lower bracket.
    10. Slowly release the tension from the coil spring by backing off the compressor drive fully. As the tension is relieved, make sure the upper mount, isolator, and coil spring align properly. Remove the clamp from the lower end of the coil spring and shock. Push back the spring compressor upper and lower hooks, then remove the shock assembly from the spring compressor.
    11. Install shock assembly on the vehicle

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 AM
donnyb1

ok...yeah i've read that post before somewhere else, not the answer i was looking for really, but thanks, and the shocks and spring all came out just really really easily, why do i need a compressor to put them back on or even off if they come off and on that easily?!?!!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Because if you don't use a spring compressor, You will not be able to switch the spring on the new shock/strut. Unless it comes with spring already on the new struts/shocks.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 PM
donnyb1

yeah.....as soon as i thought of it i turned around and grabbed a pair from autozone, installed and rolling good now! 400 bucks went into that rear end....shocks, control arm, and rotors.....this car is becoming a money pit! thanks for the answers!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
BillS
Captain

glad its fixed

Last edited by BillS; 08-21-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 stratus rear strut/shock question