3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lowering kits

Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 AM
D1mes10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lowering kits

Ok I've been surfing all over the net trying to find some lowering kits for my 08 dakota. I have yet to find anything .If anyone knows of any kits sites etc... any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

only thing i know of is lowering shackles for the rear. dont know if anyone makes shorter springs/struts for the front, oh wait, I think Blown had something lined up for his but he didnt do it for some reason, maybe he will chime in.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
only thing i know of is lowering shackles for the rear. dont know if anyone makes shorter springs/struts for the front, oh wait, I think Blown had something lined up for his but he didnt do it for some reason, maybe he will chime in.
I guess if one had the skills, they could fab up something, right? I dont know much about lowering, i know a bit about lifting because i am more into lifting my truck than lowering

Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

"for the rear you can remove the helper spring, the smallest one."

15" Rims are available...

Plus: If you'd like to pay more for gas, my truck always rides lower when I'm hauling around heavy stuff, like my winter kit: cement blocks, tow straps, tire chains, kitty litter, xtra coat/gloves, candles...

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
"for the rear you can remove the helper spring, the smallest one."

15" Rims are available...

Plus: If you'd like to pay more for gas, my truck always rides lower when I'm hauling around heavy stuff, like my winter kit: cement blocks, tow straps, tire chains, kitty litter, xtra coat/gloves, candles...
Candles? Haha. I have a camping chair with me incase i ever break down

Old 08-21-2011, 11:52 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeremysp1993
Candles? Haha. I have a camping chair with me incase i ever break down
Actually I replaced those with a sterno style stove thing because I kept forgetting to take them out in the spring and the wax would melt and be
problematic, plus with the sterno thingy I can melt snow to drink for water and/or cook stuff. Lower Michigan winters typically include minus10~20*F temps plus a blizzard or two. Think I'd rather sit in my truck if I'm stuck in that. Not a bad idea though. I did have to sit along side the road in Oregon during the summer for a couple hours once, when the K-Car we were in blew a head gasket, and chairs would have been nice. Luckily we were expecting to drive east to Michigan so we had plenty of food and water while we waited.

But I was just being silly as I wouldn't expect a Texan to need or want to carry candles around.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
D1mes10

Yeah Ive only seen kits for the rear. Im not looking to slam the truck just drop it maybe 3" or so. Thanks for the help and input guys

Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive actually looked into this prior to deciding to long travel my dakota. actually i was looking to bag it because ive built previous bagged trucks that laid frame.

but for lowering, the only solution i had drawn up was upper and lower coilover adapters, and getting a shorter adjustable coilover with the same spring rate. axle flip the rear or drop shackles if the bed clearance allows it. taking out a leaf changes the rates and it will ride funky.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what Blown was going to use.This is for the front http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/low-dod-30-f.htm Here is an option for the rear, although if you still want to haul anything I wouldnt recommend them. http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/lea-dk87xx-3.htm

Last edited by damyankee84; 08-21-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend anything from AIM Industries (airbagit and others) period. Do a few Google searches and you'll see what kind of reputation they have. You can get SpringTech lowering shackles that will drop the rear level with the front, I think I got mine from Canuck Motorsports after superdak recommended them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering kits