Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 dodge caravan sputters when giving gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:27 AM
jenn123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge caravan sputters when giving gas

I am new here and hoping someone could help me out ... i have a 98 dodge caravan and just yesterday it started giving me worse problems. Well at first over the last couple of week t takes me a couple of times to get it to start up...then yesterday when i was sitting at a drive through waitin on my food it just died on me but started back up so i went on my way..then on my way home as i was giving it gas it started to sputter like it was running out of gas and eventually died on me ...If anyone could help that would be great...one thing i do know when u turn on the van the fuel pump is turning on cause i thought that may have been why i was having a hard time starting it....

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Cloak
Rookie

just because you hear the fuel pump prime itself does'nt necessarily mean that it's giving you the correct flow......it could the fuel pump on its last leg......the fuel pump in my wifes 99 Town and Country did her the same way......then left her stranded in a friends driveway.....

thank goodness for AAA

Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Cloak
Rookie

if Im not mistaking you can manually check the codes in your ECM by turning the key ON OFF ON OFF On OFF and then looking at the ODOMETER (if its the digital one, the codes will appear there)

Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 PM
jenn123

ok thank you i will go out and give that a try and see if i can find any codes on it

Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you had a fuel pump gauge hook up and see what the fuel pressure is? And leave the gauge on the fuel line and see if the system bleeds down.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
19InBlkJrny

I'm having a similar issue with my wife's 2005 GC. Weird thing about my situation is it only happens after a fill up. Fill the tank and the first or second accelaration, it will sputter and/or stall. I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks

Omar

Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 AM
ez1913
Professional

Engine type, number of miles, what has been replaced in the last year or so, please.
This really helps us narrow it down.

I've had similar issues with my '96 GCV and the wife's '97 GCV. Both have 3.3lt engine.

On mine, the problem turned out to be the TPS (throttle position sensor).
Replaced it and it was like flipping a switch! Troubles be GONE!

On the Wife's van, it was the up-stream O2 sensor. It seemed like her van was starving for fuel, when actually it was flooding out.

Has it been really good on gas? Drinking gas like a pig?
Any other symptoms?

The "Key Dance" is.. "ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON" within 5 or 10 seconds.
Count the check engine light flashes. The Chilton manual has the code key and I think it's also listed above as a sticky in this forum.

It's WAY better to use an OBD scanner tool.
Most auto parts stores are happy to scan your rig for free in hopes you'll buy the parts needed from them.

I'm an AutoZone guy. I like their rewards card program. I have $60 in credit racked up that will come in mighty handy when I need parts and I'm three days from payday.

As for the '05,... Can't help you there. I only fiddle with the old Caravans, sorry.

EZ1

Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 PM
rabtrfld

The fuel pump can lose pressure even though you hear it running. Measure at the sampling port at the injector rail and look for about 50PSI.

If the pump is going you may be able to self rescue by banging on the underside of the tank. It really works. Then you're on borrowed time.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 PM
jenn123

Originally Posted by ez1913
Engine type, number of miles, what has been replaced in the last year or so, please.
This really helps us narrow it down.

I've had similar issues with my '96 GCV and the wife's '97 GCV. Both have 3.3lt engine.

On mine, the problem turned out to be the TPS (throttle position sensor).
Replaced it and it was like flipping a switch! Troubles be GONE!

On the Wife's van, it was the up-stream O2 sensor. It seemed like her van was starving for fuel, when actually it was flooding out.

Has it been really good on gas? Drinking gas like a pig?
Any other symptoms?

The "Key Dance" is.. "ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON" within 5 or 10 seconds.
Count the check engine light flashes. The Chilton manual has the code key and I think it's also listed above as a sticky in this forum.

It's WAY better to use an OBD scanner tool.
Most auto parts stores are happy to scan your rig for free in hopes you'll buy the parts needed from them.

I'm an AutoZone guy. I like their rewards card program. I have $60 in credit racked up that will come in mighty handy when I need parts and I'm three days from payday.

As for the '05,... Can't help you there. I only fiddle with the old Caravans, sorry.

EZ1

it has been horrible on gas, roughly 9mpg, it will start, but you have to crank on it a little, it kinda smells like its flooding out sometimes, had it running yesterday and got a backfire through the throttle body, it is a 98 voyager, 180,000 miles, 3.3l, had a new jasper tranny installed a few months ago. thanks for all the help. i didnt figure a obd reader would help since im getting no cel.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 PM
22mopar22
Banned

the new transmission has me wondering if it doesn't have a cracked flex plate? very common problem which throws off ignition timing causing horrible gas mileage, and poor performance.

Quick Reply: 98 dodge caravan sputters when giving gas