Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

09 Grand Caravan - remove rear caliper ?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:06 PM
taylorde
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Grand Caravan - remove rear caliper ?

Hello, I am trying to replace the pads / rotors on the rear of a 2009 Grand Caravan. I assume the parking brake cable needs to be removed, as when I removed the caliper slide bolts, the parking brake cable tugs one way, and the brake line tugs the other. Can someone tell me how to remove the caliper?? I have seen lots of post about proper retracting of the rear caliper piston, which is the same as on my Civic. Here is a picture of the brakes

Name:  Eric_rear_Brake.jpg
Views: 6424
Size:  107.6 KB

thanks
DaveT

Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
dushash
Amateur

Hi,

no need to touch e-brake. Just remove the caliper (I think it's just 2 caliper bolts - upper and lower one) and take it off the rotor (just remember to hang it safely on the wire or rope so that rubber tubes will not be bended too much. After that the rotor will fall off by itself. It's really easy.

When you'll be putting new pads and rotors back - you'll need to squeeze rear caliper piston back in using special tool - that you can borrow for free in autozone or partsourse e.t.c. The thing is that rear piston goes inside while turning (don't just push it in - or you can brake the piston).

P.S. Also don't forget to install clips for pads (2 clips per pad). They help pad to slide correctly to and from the rotor.

P.P.S. You'll also need to lubricate the sliding pins (where the caliper slides) under the rubber covers. Also put special brake paste on the rear side of pads, where caliper touches the pad, so that there will be no unwanted movement/squicking sound. And also, installing the pads, always put pad sensor (metal thing that touches the rotors when pads are almost gone) on the inside pad and upside.

Last edited by dushash; 08-28-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 PM
taylorde

I must be doing something wrong, the caliper will not lift away from the caliper mount, because the parking brake cable is 'holding it back'. I am undoing the caliper slide bolts - maybe I should take the whole works off, including the caliper mounting bracket too?

DaveT

Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It will come off without pulling the mounting bracket off.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Dflamma
Default Please help...replacing Caliper need to remove ebrake

I thought I would post this question here as this picture looks to be identical to my 2008 Grand Caravan

I am trying to replace the caliper and can't figure out how to remove the ebrake!!!

I have read other threads here about compressing the 3 fingers...the pic here shows more than 3 fingers. I dont want to break anythign here.

Not sure if I should be compressing the "3 fingers" discussed in other threads.

ANy assistance would be greatly appreciated as I have the car jacked up at present. Thanks,

Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Dflamma

I did seefrom another thread I did see that despite some great instructions from members here, it was quite a bear in putting the caliper back in with the emergency brake...Any thoughts on how to best remove the emergency brake first and then reattach?

That parts seems the tricky part. Also, teh other thread mentioned the need for the 13 mm line wrench. A flare nut wrench is the very same thing, correct? or not?

Thanks. Also,

Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Dflamma

Bump...anyone? Thanks

Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Gusto23

I just had the same issues getting the parking brake off the caliper. There is a bolt in the middle of the back of the caliper that if you rotate will release a little tension (not much) from the brake cable. Also I turned the caliper a little so that one of the 3 'fingers' on the cable was in the opening on the underside of the L bracket. That way I only had to compress the remaining 2. After that, it was a matter of just using a flat head and pushing down on the remaining 2 fingers and slightly wiggling it until they were free. I know there are other ways to get the cable off but this is what worked for me.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:49 PM
jhhoffma

Sorry to necrothread, but can anyone tell me what is the size of the bolt in question above. The one that holds the parking brake bracket to the wheel housing?

I lost one of mine and the dealer can't find it on his prints...(nice). Might have to find one at hardware store if I can't get a smarter local dealer...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 Grand Caravan - remove rear caliper ?