1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango Transmission Removal help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 PM
seancolon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango Transmission Removal help

So I "attempted' to remove my transmission to swap in the replacment.. I ran into 2 issues.. The first was I can not get to the bolts on the top of the transfer case. :-/ Then The transmission crossmember I can figure out how to get that off As it sits about the Tosion bars?? Im thinking once that is off I can lower the trans a bit to access the bolts on the TCase but Just cant figure out what Im supposed to do to remove that crossmember.. Can anyone assist.. Please... :-( have to get this done by Sunday
\
98 4x4 5.2 motor

Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I took my T-case bolts out I had to use a wobbly and long extensions and still had to work my hands up in there. It's a REALLY tight spot I agree, took like 3.5 hours to get the 2 top ones out and in! Oil and clean the bolts before installation to aid in getting them back in. Also after you remove the Trans cross member you need to remove the trans and put it back up there and bolt it back to hold it from going out of square.

You can try to take the weight off the chassis to alleviate some frame twist to get it out.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The best thing to do is remove the transmission motor mount. Then get a half moon wrench 9/16 1/2 combo box. That will also get the upper nuts off. To remove the t-case you are going to drop the front of t-case and the slide the tail housing down. You will need to drop the exhaust system. You still haven't gotten to the hard part of removing the transmission. The torque converter bolts are going to be a challenge. Remove the starter the bolt is 5/8 and the nut is also 5/8. You will need to remove all 9/16 bolt heads on the upper part of the bellhousing. Thats going to leave two 5/8 bolts on the lower part of the bellhousing, first remove the oil filter. Back the two bellhousing bolts out to about 1 inch and remove all the inspection cover bolts. using a pry bar, the transmission back until the cover comes out. Push the transmission back to the engine and then remove the 4 18mm torque converter bolts. Then remove the two bolts and transmission. If you don't do it this way, You spend another 2 or 3 hours removing the motor mounts and brackets.

The following users liked this post:
Webalchermist (09-03-2021)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 PM
seancolon

Thanks for all the help, and suggestions guys.. Laying on my back with help of a friend it took us 9 hours to get the Trans out (after the rusty bolts were snapped then extracted from multiple locations.. And then 13 hours to put it back in.. There was more issues then I anticipated but its back in, the truck runs great and I no longer have a slipping trans or a truck that sounds like a war tank because we fixed the broken exhaust at the same time.

*** I DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone ever doing this job on there own if they dont have a lift**** :-/ Its a project. But again Thank you to everyone

Old 05-20-2016, 10:09 PM
garystofer
Default How do you get to the torque converter bolts ?

Originally Posted by master tech
The torque converter bolts are going to be a challenge..
On my 98 Durango with 5.2L engine I can't figure out how I could possibly remove the dustcover to get to the torque converter bolts. There is a nearly 2" long stud going through the cover where the starter bolts on that prevents me from removing it. Do I need to slide the entire transmission out with the torque converter still bolted in place or what?

Help would be appreciated.

Gary

Old 05-21-2016, 09:51 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah that cover is a pain. Take out the starter and get to the torque converter bolts that way.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Sasha Zvyagin
Default Stud on the starter side

I just finished taking out the transmission. I did it at my school, where I have access to a lift, but you can do it with a good set of jackstands and a jack or two.

The stud will come out if you put two nuts on it, tighten them to each other and then use a wrench on the nut closest to the bellhousing. It will take you like 10 minutes, lol, but you'll get it done. I then loosened the upper bellhousing-to-engine bolts slightly and supported the transmission towards the output shaft end. That gave me enough of a crack to slide the shield down from between those stupid friggin brackets that Dodge designed and the bellhousing.
Overall it's a real PITA, and I've done a bunch of transmissions in my life. This was easily the worst one I've had. Glad I'm not the one putting it back in. )))

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Aaron H
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seancolon
So I "attempted' to remove my transmission to swap in the replacment.. I ran into 2 issues.. The first was I can not get to the bolts on the top of the transfer case. :-/ Then The transmission crossmember I can figure out how to get that off As it sits about the Tosion bars?? Im thinking once that is off I can lower the trans a bit to access the bolts on the TCase but Just cant figure out what Im supposed to do to remove that crossmember.. Can anyone assist.. Please... :-( have to get this done by Sunday
\
98 4x4 5.2 motor

To get the top bolts out you remove the center console then chizzle through the floor if your sawzall is dead

The following users liked this post:
Webalchermist (09-03-2021)
Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

I've been known to pull the engine/transmission/transfer case all as one unit. I always have something else to drive so I'll do that and clean everything up before putting it back in. If the engine has a lot of miles I'll replace the expansion plugs and timing chain along with the oil pump. I did it once on a truck when I got it and again 25 years later. It's just easier to sit on a stool in the garage than lay on your back.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Aaron H
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've been known to pull the engine/transmission/transfer case all as one unit. I always have something else to drive so I'll do that and clean everything up before putting it back in. If the engine has a lot of miles I'll replace the expansion plugs and timing chain along with the oil pump. I did it once on a truck when I got it and again 25 years later. It's just easier to sit on a stool in the garage than lay on your back.
Yeah the reason i dug a hole in the truck was because it’s just a parts car for my dakota, i figured it was the quickest way to get it out Lol but pulling it all in one is most definitely what i would do on my good truck

Quick Reply: 98 Durango Transmission Removal help