4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 power wagon 2500 tow hitch rating

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
aquaholic_
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 power wagon 2500 tow hitch rating

anyone know what the factory tow hitch is rated for without the use of weight distribution bars? there's no sticker or stamp on the hitch.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

not trying to be a smart ***, but ALOT. i towed a trailer loaded with bricks once with my 1500 and got sag, i've done a little more with my 2500 now and no problems at all

Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

the trucks rated at like 22,000 lb for towing, so i'm sure the hitch that came with it is right on par

Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the RAM detailed towing chart, the Power Wagon (with Hemi and 5-speed transmission) has a Class IV hitch. Towing without weight distributing hitch gets you a max of 5000 lb trailer weight. See p.5, note #4 in the following PDF:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf/..._Tow_Chart.pdf

mdram43: The 2500 does not have a 22,000 lb towing capacity, even the non-PowerWagon trims with diesel. That capacity is for a 3500. Perhaps you were thinking of GCWR?

Rob

Old 09-05-2011, 01:25 PM
aquaholic_
Amateur

thanks bigblueedge. thats the chart i was looking for. i could tell by looking at that factory hitch that there was no way it was rated for 10,100 lbs. it was just not characteristic of a weight distributing hitch. chevy does the same thing on their 2500's. i'm just going to buy another draw tite ultra frame weight distributing hitch like i put on my chevy. it eliminates the use of weight distribution bars for the most part. here's the specs on the hitch if anybody is interested.

Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch

Specially designed to meet your heavy-duty towing needs, this fully welded, corrosion-resistant vehicle trailer hitch receiver features Draw-Tite's Tested Tough guarantee, ensuring performance that exceeds industry standards.

Specs:
  • Receiver opening: 2" x 2"
  • Rating: Class IV
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 10,000 lbs
      • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 12,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 1,000 lbs
      • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 1,200 lbs

Last edited by aquaholic_; 09-06-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
According to the RAM detailed towing chart, the Power Wagon (with Hemi and 5-speed transmission) has a Class IV hitch. Towing without weight distributing hitch gets you a max of 5000 lb trailer weight. See p.5, note #4 in the following PDF:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf/..._Tow_Chart.pdf

mdram43: The 2500 does not have a 22,000 lb towing capacity, even the non-PowerWagon trims with diesel. That capacity is for a 3500. Perhaps you were thinking of GCWR?

Rob
you arent kidding! i've read all these articles and things online, where they talk about the 2500 and 3500s at the same time, that info was all directed at the 3500. those sneaky bastards. what a let down that is, not like id ever be up that high anyways, but just amazing how a lack of specifying can throw an entire write up off

Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
aquaholic_
Amateur

i dont have a problem with dodge putting a light weight hitch on the truck from the factory. what i do have several issues with is the fact that the info is not stamped on the hitch like everyone elses. here is the answer i just received from chrysler 5 minutes ago. i love the fact that these jagoffs totally danced around a direct answer to my question. here was my question and their answer.

what is the factory rear tow hitch/tongue weight rating with and without weight distribution bars?

The maximum trailer weight this vehicle can tow is 10,100 lbs. Maximum
trailer weight includes cargo and fluids in the trailer and must be
decreased by the weight of optional equipment, cargo inside/outside the
vehicle and passengers. A weight distributing system is recommended for
trailers over 5,000 pounds.

I hope this information further assists with your inquiry.

Thanks again for your email, Gene.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Customer Service Representative
Ram Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER:
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2618848

Last edited by aquaholic_; 09-06-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

it definitely leaves you in the dark. and I understand your worry, I screwed up my 04 1500 hauling too much. had a pallet of stone in the bed, then the trailer with another pallet. (both loads sitting on top of axles. driving that weight several miles at city and highway speeds screwed up the drive train and it had clunking and jerking after that. So i had to get rid of it before it died on me. and that thing had a helper spring too.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquaholic_
i dont have a problem with dodge putting a light weight hitch on the truck from the factory. what i do have several issues with is the fact that the info is not stamped on the hitch like everyone elses. here is the answer i just received from chrysler 5 minutes ago. i love the fact that these jagoffs totally danced around a direct answer to my question. here was my question and their answer.

what is the factory rear tow hitch/tongue weight rating with and without weight distribution bars?

The maximum trailer weight this vehicle can tow is 10,100 lbs. Maximum
trailer weight includes cargo and fluids in the trailer and must be
decreased by the weight of optional equipment, cargo inside/outside the
vehicle and passengers. A weight distributing system is recommended for
trailers over 5,000 pounds.

I hope this information further assists with your inquiry.

Thanks again for your email, Gene.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Customer Service Representative
Ram Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER:
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2618848
I guess I don't see the problem with their response. They gave you the ratings for with and without weight distributing hitch setup and they advised you, correctly, that max weights must take into account weight of other cargo in the vehicle. I see they didn't mention tongue weights. Beyond that, what else were you looking for them to tell you?

Rob

Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
frogslinger
Captain

tongue weight is generally always .1 of trailer weight. You can tow 10k lbs with the stock hitch. On a dodge you want to go with a truck with no factory receiver and add your own. Costs about the same and you get a much better quality product. IIRC all HDs have a receiver though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 power wagon 2500 tow hitch rating