Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2.5 V6 Timing marks

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM
sacgun1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 V6 Timing marks

I'm changing the timing belt on my 1998 2.5 V6. The old one was cut and removed by someone else and I'm trying to replace it and of course set the timing. I see the two notches in the sheet metal covers no problem but I'm not seeing the marks on the two camshaft sprockets to line them up and I'm not too crazy about turning them or the crank individually. I'm used to a dot being stamped into the face of the sprocket. There appear to be about 3 white marks like paint on the sprocket face but that doesn't look right.

Suggestions?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Send me your email address and I'll send you you the picture on how to set up the timing belt.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

TIMING BELT
CAUTION: The 2.5L engine is a Non-freewheeling design. When the timing belt is removed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

REMOVAL
Remove timing belt covers. Refer to procedure in this section.
Mark timing belt running direction for installation Timing Belt System Mark Direction of Timing Belt
Loosen timing belt tensioner center bolt Timing Belt Engine Sprocket Timing and remove auto tensioner.
Remove timing belt
CAUTION: Coolant or oil leakage on timing belt will shorten its life drastically. If timing belt is seriously contaminated, it must be replaced. Clean all components and correct source of leak.

CAMSHAFT AND CRANKSHAFT TIMING PROCEDURE
TIMING BELT TENSIONER
When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body.
Place the tensioner into a vise and slowly compress the plunger Timing Belt Tensioner Compressing
CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper locking pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.

When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body, install a locking pin through the body and plunger Timing Belt Tensioner Compressing
INSTALLATION
Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket mark with the mark on the oil pump housing. Then rotate crankshaft 3 notches before TDC Crankshaft Sprocket Timing
Set camshaft sprockets to the aligning marks on the sprockets with the marks on the rear timing belt cover Camshaft Sprocket Timing
Install timing belt on right camshaft sprocket. Install a binder clip on the belt and sprocket so the belt will not slip out of position. Keeping the belt taught, install belt under the water pump pulley and then around the left camshaft sprocket. Install an additional binder clip on the left sprocket and belt.
Rotate the crankshaft to TDC Adjusting Crankshaft Sprocket for Timing Belt Continue routing the belt around the idler pulley, crankshaft sprocket, and tensioner pulley.
To tension belt perform the following:
Apply rotating force to the crankshaft sprocket in the clockwise direction, check that all timing marks are aligned.
Loosen tensioner pulley center bolt.
Using Special Tool MD 998767 and a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley. Apply 4.4 N·m (38.9 in. lbs.) of torque to tensioner Timing Belt Tension Adjustment Tighten tensioner pulley bolt to 48 N·m (35 ft. lbs.)
With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley, install the hydraulic tensioner to the tensioner pulley bracket. Tighten tensioner fasteners to 23 N·m (205 in. lbs.)
Pull tensioner plunger pin
Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions in a clockwise direction ONLY and check the alignment of the timing marks Timing Belt Engine Sprocket Timing Install tensioner pin into assembly. The pin should slide in and out without any resistance. If the pin does not slide freely, perform the procedure again.
Install timing belt covers. Refer to procedure in this section.
Install right engine mount. Refer to procedure in this section.
Install crankshaft damper and crankshaft damper bolt. Tighten to 182 N·m (134 ft. lbs.)
Install accessory drive belts.

Remember I have a picture if you need it.
Raise vehicle on hoist and install drive belt splash shield.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:43 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome detailed write up! As a Mitsubishi Master Technician, I can't tell you how important it is to not cut corners especially on these 6G7 series engines.

Quick Reply: 2.5 V6 Timing marks