Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Heater blowing cold air.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 PM
dpfolie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blowing cold air.

My 2001 Caravan is blowing out cold air when the heater is on and the temp is selected to heat. I can play with it some and it will suddenly start to blow hot air.

Is it the switch or the solenoid (I am assuming there is a solenoid) that switches from hot and cold?

Is the solenoid easy to get to and replace?

Thank You

Old 09-15-2005, 12:50 AM
hemipower1984
Rookie
Default RE: Heater blowing cold air.

door for temp selection is probaly broken or cble that switchs door inop (electrically moved)

Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 AM
captainad

Originally Posted by dpfolie
My 2001 Caravan is blowing out cold air when the heater is on and the temp is selected to heat. I can play with it some and it will suddenly start to blow hot air.

Is it the switch or the solenoid (I am assuming there is a solenoid) that switches from hot and cold?

Is the solenoid easy to get to and replace?

Thank You
I have the same problem on my 2001 caravan. The temp **** rotates but will only blow cold air unless you turn the **** repeatedly and eventually the hot air will come. I hope someone can tell me if it is a problem in the control or the actuator.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never worked it but I would get to the actuator (it's a motor) connector, stick a volt meter on it, turn the control **** and see if there's a consistant voltage change as you turn the ****. If there's no change or it's intermittent, you'll need a new control panel or there's a broken wire. If all is well at the connector then the actuator is bad. On page 2 of this thread is a diagram showing the actuators, procedures to get at them and the system wiring diagram thanks to Tizzy1.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...r-voyager.html

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-13-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM
medicaero
Default Heat not working Please Respond

Hey guys I have a 1996 caravan se, and the heat will not work no matter where the temp control slide is at. I dont smell antifreeze and all speeds on the blower motor are working fine, Im not sure if its related but the button to turn the a/c on does not disengage the a/c clutch, the only way I can get the a/c to go off is to pull the a/c clutch relay please help it is cold outside

Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

up at the top of the threads is a DIY section. In that section is the calibration and self test for your control head. It will check the actuator, you can test the temp and mode sliders, it is a really nice self test. Also make sure the coolant is full.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 AM
medicaero

when I do the calibration test the first thing it does is blow hot hot heat then ice cold air, but when its done it just wants to stay to the cold side cant get any heat

Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

after the control head goes through the calibration sequence, it enters diagnostic mode. Chances are very good that the temperature slider in the control head is bad and that can be tested with the diagnostics. It will flash the led slow for cold and faster as you go to hot. If you move the slider to hot and it flashes slow, bad control head. You have to step through all the diagnostics, it will test the mode ****, temp slider, etc. It's been awhile but when cal. is done, it flashes codes with the top led, then you push one of the buttons to move to the next mode, there are 4 or 5 different modes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater blowing cold air.